Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OK, we admit it. We always dupe people who are obvious goofs. We can spot you easy marks a mile away and we take you for all you are worth.

Please tell us that you are a woman.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Are you riding a bike to work everyday. What are you doing to save the world?
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

BTW the customer isn't always right, they're always the customer.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

yes.
    I do ride my bike to work.

Look, this is about doing what is right.
    Correcting a wrong.

I was mislead.
    Left in the dark on these products.

The units are still new.
    But getting charged three times the true amount for this simple exchange is appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by ductaped View Post
    yes.
    I do ride my bike to work.

Look, this is about doing what is right.
    Correcting a wrong.

I was mislead.
    Left in the dark on these products.

The units are still new.
    But getting charged three times the true amount for this simple exchange is appalling.
    It is obvious that you have a case of buyers remorse and want to lay blame for things that are not actual issues. I think you should start a protest somewhere........else.

whatever happened to the "customer is always right?"
    Whatever happened to customer satisfaction?

Look, I was duped.
    The customer only knows what is offered to them.
    All of this stuff is kept secret for this very reason.
    It protects the contractor while giving them the most price cushion.

And why, in the 21st century, would you install an r22 system in your own home?
    Do you not care about the environment?
    Or are you that cheap?

Yes, r22 is harmless if it is contained.
    IF is the operative word.
    Accidents happen.
    It will leak.
    Not now, not tomorrow.
    But it will.
    And even your little amount has a cumulative effect.
    You are right, you got what you agreed on with your contractor, I am going to assume you only had one price to do your job, otherwise you would have more of a clue about what you are getting, you obviously know nothing about our trade and should have educated yourself before not after the fact.

Just because your ignorance has caused you some grief please don't come on here putting down HVAC contractors, try addressing your problem with your contractor like a civilized person.

Secrets !!! I will tell you one "get at least 3 quotes"

This was the only HVAC contractor available to me through my GC.

Let me give my .02 here on pricing...

I am a one man show here and I do get equipment at wholesale prices but I pay a price higher than others who do larger volume in sales. We all get a "break" from the supplier but the volume you move dictates the price advantage you get.

This is why we can't really talk about pricing on equipment on the forum - it's not universal really.

We don't talk about pricing in any other areas because everyones overhead is not alike! What it costs me to operate in one area is nothing like what it would cost someone else who has a large overhead and employees in another part of the country.

You can come in here and expect us to just give out free advice and pricing and then go and attempt to fix your stuff and get hurt - then successfully sue us for giving you advice -OR- get someone to price you out a "system" and then expect everyone else to meet that price...We simply just can't and wont do this.

Sorry if that ruffles your feathers.

CW.
    "I don't care what you could get it off the net for, they wont warranty it and neither will I"!

And if you don't like my "flat rate up front pricing" try and negotiate the price on that big mac you just bought pricing is exactly the same method!

I agree on many of these issues.
    But, a simple explanation to the customer would avoid much headache.
    That amount of transparency goes along with a consumer.

Depsite a higher equipment cost, the customer gets more knowledge about the product, the expert insight of a certified installer and a stronger bond when all cards are on the table.

It is about building a relationship of trust. This can only happen through transparency. Besides, the difference could amount to just a few hundred dollars. I would pay more for clarity and comfort. One must always beware the low bid.

Don't know if it applies in this instance, but a lot of times there is a lack of communication by homeowners and subcontractors when a general contractor is being used.

In one respect I have to agree that a better selling tactic is to communicate better with the homeowner. Then again, this HVAC contractors customer is actually the general contractor first, and the homeowner second.

Still, if the only criteria was to install the "best" system, that is a very subjective criteria. If left to the contractor to determine what "best" is, the homeowner must understand that the contractor may think what is best is very different then what the homeowner may consider is best. For this reason, the homeowner has a responsibility to research HVAC systems and components and decide for themselves what they would consider "best" is.

A point to ponder...

If one is stung by a bee...why go to the hive for advice on how to remove the stinger...

Yes, r22 is harmless if it is contained.
    IF is the operative word.
    Accidents happen.
    It will leak.
    Not now, not tomorrow.
    But it will.
    And even your little amount has a cumulative effect.
    R-22 has an very low ozone depletion potential compared to CFC, and other HCFC, refrigerants. 1/20 that or R12
    There also has not been any conclusive scientific proof that R-22 causes a problem anyway, just theory.

R-410A isn't exactly a "green" refrigerant according to the current environmental fad.
    They are already moving away from it in some parts of the world due to its supposed "global warming potential".

As an HVAC tech, I don't have a problem with R-410A, it is just another refrigerant, nothing different about how the systems work.

Those of us in the service end of things should welcome it, because it will make us more money than R-22 systems did.
    A tiny leak that might loose 1 lb of R-22 a year in a R-22 system will likely blow most, if not all, of the refrigerant charge in a R-410A system. I've already run into that with tiny indoor coil leaks on R-410A heat pumps. Since the leaks that occur in the indoor coil are rarely repairable, the coil has to be replaced if the owner wants cooling. No more topping off the charge every year or two for customers that don't want to shell out for a new coil.

R-410A = job $ecurity.

If I was putting a system in my home today, it would be an R-410A system, but only because that is the only refrigerant the type of system I am interested in uses.

Refrigerant leaks in the indoor coils are virtually an epidemic. As everything shifts to R-410A, it will be even more of a problem as long as manufacturers continue building coils that uses the same copper tube, aluminum fin, galvanized steel tube sheet combination that have been giving the entire industry fits for a couple of decades now. Especially as the use of engineered building products continues to rise, and people insist on adding excessive chemical scents and cleaning agents to their indoor environments.

In case that last paragraph has anyone scratching their heads, read this.
    http://www.edwin-fine.com/air_con/fo...formicary.html
    Last edited by mark beiser; 11-25-2007 at 02:08 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    If one is stung by a bee...why go to the hive for advice on how to remove the stinger...
    Damn ST, do you hoover just off of the floor while meditating in the lotus position?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast