Thread: Frozen Ah

Angry Frozen Ah

Help. Our AH is frozen, inside the unit there is apx. 2" ice above and below (ice inside unit), what can cause this? We don't run the AC too low/much this time of year (Florida) and don't have outside window's etc., open when it's running (to avoid bringing in Humidity).

This afternoon I noticed water dripping from the AH as if the pvc drain was clogged (leading to the outside), so I bleached that outside line, then later tonight when the cool air inside the house had become less cool, I opened up the unit (novice) and BOOM, ice top and bottom.

Is this my problem (my fault), the unit's problem, just normal, what? Can this be AVOIDED in the future? Leaving on Vacation later this week, scared if we leave AC on (not too cool) we'll come home to a broken/frozen unit, with water all over my garage floor (AH is in garage/suspended near ceiling).

ANYthing i can do other than allow the ice jam to melt overnight, clean the unit? clean something? Would rather keep costs lower and clean/fix myself but not against getting the job done right, if indeed there is a job there at all?

Thanks for any and all expertise you can and have provided. THANK YOU.

Hot(ter) in Florida...

Change the filter if it's dirty and ensure that all vents are unobstructed.

If problem persists, have the system gauged; you could have a refrigerant leak or dirty evaporator coil. Aside from checking the filter, there is no DIY fix.

Continuing to run the system like that without service could result in permanent compressor damage.

What is having the system gauged?

You need to call a service company to diagnose your system. Sorry but this is not a DIY Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    What is having the system gauged?
    checking pressures with manifold gauges.Call a small local company out and they will shoot a little cool juice in there and have them check for leaks with an electronic leak detector.Should not cost much at all.

How does shooting juice in help with the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by troyer View Post
    How does shooting juice in help with the problem?
    It doesn't, we all know that, someone is offering an unqualified remedy.

Gauged=install gauges
    Juice=Refrigerant

That's my interpretation anyway...................oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    It doesn't, we all know that, someone is offering an unqualified remedy.

Gauged=install gauges
    Juice=Refrigerant

That's my interpretation anyway...................oh well.
    I am so sick of everyone on here thinking that everyone is unqualified.I would be willing to bet thats the problem.I am a licensed heating contractor in nc one of the hardest tests in us also epa/cfc universal certified with over 20 years exp.If thats not enough qualification then there is a huge problem with the world today.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshvac View Post
    I am so sick of everyone on here thinking that everyone is unqualified.I would be willing to bet thats the problem.I am a licensed heating contractor in nc one of the hardest tests in us also epa/cfc universal certified with over 20 years exp.If thats not enough qualification then there is a huge problem with the world today.
    Then use proper industry terminology, what is cool juice? In North Carolina that may be your slang term, but I am in Michigan, we still call it REFRIGERANT

That's why I posted what I posted. It makes one sound unqualified when making a post. Oh yea, FWIW, I am a third generation HVAC owner with 31 years under my belt.

Unless there is an obvious obstruction in your system (plugged filter ) it is wise to shut it down and let the ice melt and then call for service, there are several things this could be and a tech is your best choice for correcting the problem for you.