Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You must have missed the word "TIMED".

ignitor

have you not ever changed an ignitor with a weak value ? just because it glows doesn't always rule it out.
    2 hot 2 cool

ignitor

there not all timed !!!!
    2 hot 2 cool

Yes, but it didn't keep the valve from opening.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis663 View Post
    VERY GOOD!!!, now what tells the board to open the gas valve ?, is it because the ignitor get's hot or because it send an electrical value to the board ? & what happens if the value the board is looking for is not strong enough ?
    Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. Edwards does know what he is talking about. I'm not trying to be smart but you may want to open up the book you are studying and read it again. If your book says what you are saying than post the book title.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Dude you are missing it... Not to hijack this thread but when a W signal calls, the inducer starts for a predetermined, prepurge time. Then as time continues, (and all pressure switches have made), the ignitor is energized. the board energizes the ignitor for a set period of time and then opens the gas valve. Shortly after that, the ignitor is denergized and a few seconds is offered for flame sense. The resistance of the ignitor has nothing to do with the gas valve. You can disconect the ignitor completely and it will still go through it's trial for ignition.

To the OP, get a tech.

ignitor

if he knows what he's talking about, then what is his diagnosis ????
    2 hot 2 cool

VERY GOOD!!!, now what tells the board to open the gas valve ?, is it because the ignitor get's hot or because it send an electrical value to the board ? & what happens if the value the board is looking for is not strong enough ?
    sorry but no, an open ignitor will still let the valve open, ever wonder what that hiss is when the ignitor don't glow then something clicks... then hiiissssss! hmm might be the gas valve.

inducer starts, pressure switch closes, relay starts ignitor warm up, after predetermined delay(different for every manufacturer) gas valve opens for trial for ignition, if the flame sensor(or ignitor itself on some models) senses flame gas flow continues and flame stays on. no flame sense(or flame) and board shuts off valve, retries 3 times(some LP units lock out after 1st trial) and will lockout, if there is still no flame sensed.

There you go, HSI 101!!
    You can't fix stupid

My diagnosis? I would need more information, like I said earlier before I told anybody to start changing parts. Is there power going to the valve? He didn't say.
    I could tell him to start changing parts, (cheap ones first of course) but that's not how people trained in the stone age do things.

if he knows what he's talking about, then what is his diagnosis ????
    for the answer to that post a thread on the pro board and we'll school ya quick like. No DIY on here so we can't go too deep on this thread.
    You can't fix stupid

ignitor

YOUR RIGHT, I STAND CORRECTED.i was under the impression this was a smart valve!!!
    2 hot 2 cool

YOUR RIGHT, I STAND CORRECTED.i was under the impression this was a smart valve!!!
    Rheem/Ruud are too smart to use a dumb valve.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    Rheem/Ruud are too smart to use a dumb valve.
    Don't think anybody used them in '91. Seems like they showed up in '95 or there abouts. Plus the smart valves also had a pilot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast