Thread: Heating And Cooling A Three Car Garage?

Post Likes

Heating And Cooling A Three Car Garage?

Hi all. Well looks like we will finally close on the house next week! I need some suggestions on how to heat and cool the garage area. The garage is an oversized 3 car (thank god) for my toys and the wife will finally have an inside spot!

The house is all propane, with everything being direct vent. I was originally thinking of a Hot Dawg heater direct vent heater, but does not solve the issue of cooling.

Someone suggested to use a split system and use an electric heat pump, but not sure how well this will work here in CT?
    I realize that because it is in a garage that I can't use anything from the existing HVAC system. I am a licensed Plumbing Contractor (but only work on the wetside of things).

Any and all! suggestions would help me out!

Thanks as always!!!

Post Likes
    Sounds like a good application for a mini split heat pump unit. Call your local hvac contractor for a bid.

Post Likes
    i would go mini split heat pump, size it for a/c load. if you need to you can supplement with electic heater in extreme cold.

Post Likes
    Thanks Guys!! I will follow up with my local HVAC company.... Thumbs up! Any brands to stay away from?

Post Likes
    Got a minisplit in mine. Daikin. I have also installed Sanyo and Fujitsu (my fave). All worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by fan in the can View Post
    Hi all. Well looks like we will finally close on the house next week! I need some suggestions on how to heat and cool the garage area. The garage is an oversized 3 car (thank god) for my toys and the wife will finally have an inside spot!

The house is all propane, with everything being direct vent. I was originally thinking of a Hot Dawg heater direct vent heater, but does not solve the issue of cooling.

Someone suggested to use a split system and use an electric heat pump, but not sure how well this will work here in CT?
    I realize that because it is in a garage that I can't use anything from the existing HVAC system. I am a licensed Plumbing Contractor (but only work on the wetside of things).

Any and all! suggestions would help me out!

Thanks as always!!!

Post Likes
    I would be very reserved about putting a mini in a garage\shop. If you do anything like woodworking or other activities that create a lot of air borne contaminates you may want to consider something with a little more robust filter option. I’ve got a fujitsu mini and if I can remember correctly, the filter cleanings should be done biweekly for normal use. I don’t have the owner’s manual in front of me; I just remember it being something silly. Mine is installed in a computer\office room. I think I would love the unit if I could ever get over the cost of it. If space is not a problem, I would check to see what a normal heatpump would cost to install in the corner with a very simple duct system (maybe even just a hood!). I think you maybe surprised considering what a decent mini cost.

Post Likes
    Been there, done that. Fortunately, the filters can be easily removed, washed, and put back in. If one were to use a standard split system, life wouldn't be a lot different, and you'd be changing filters a lot on those too.
    Best solution? A vacuum on your saw, router, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox View Post
    I would be very reserved about putting a mini in a garage\shop. If you do anything like woodworking or other activities that create a lot of air borne contaminates you may want to consider something with a little more robust filter option. I’ve got a fujitsu mini and if I can remember correctly, the filter cleanings should be done biweekly for normal use. I don’t have the owner’s manual in front of me; I just remember it being something silly. Mine is installed in a computer\office room. I think I would love the unit if I could ever get over the cost of it. If space is not a problem, I would check to see what a normal heatpump would cost to install in the corner with a very simple duct system (maybe even just a hood!). I think you maybe surprised considering what a decent mini cost.

Post Likes
    IMO I'd put the standard heat pump in.
    1) The mini's are not going to do a very good job of getting the cold air up and heated in the winter time. The return for the air handler can be terminated near the floor and supply ductwork put along the ceiling to dispurse air ....... say along the entire long wall of the garage.
    2) With a standard air handler and heat pump you can put in a good 4" pleated media filter. This filter should need less attention.
    3) I'd size the heat pump for the heating load and rely less on the backup straight electric heat. It's a garage and that being the case shouldn't be a big deal if the air conditioning doesn't dehumidify as well as you'd want in a home.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Sounds good. I will be using the garage as a big toy box for some old classic cars that I own, as well as my wifes daily driver. I will have to park outside (as usual). I am going to talk to a local Hvac Co today about what they suggest. I am sure there are many ways to heat & cool the garage. The wife and I just want to heat the garage as our bedroom is located directly above this. Why all these years this was never addressed is beyond me.
    Thanks again for all the help!!!! Again everyone has been great steering me in the right direction......

Post Likes
    On your first point, they do a VERY good job. The louvers swing, they definitely stir the air in room, and more to the point, my garage's minisplit keeps it comfortable floor to ceiling.

On your third point, the nice thing about inverter heat pumps, it's REALLY hard to get one too big. They simply slow down to meet the load.

Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    IMO I'd put the standard heat pump in.
    1) The mini's are not going to do a very good job of getting the cold air up and heated in the winter time. The return for the air handler can be terminated near the floor and supply ductwork put along the ceiling to dispurse air ....... say along the entire long wall of the garage.
    2) With a standard air handler and heat pump you can put in a good 4" pleated media filter. This filter should need less attention.
    3) I'd size the heat pump for the heating load and rely less on the backup straight electric heat. It's a garage and that being the case shouldn't be a big deal if the air conditioning doesn't dehumidify as well as you'd want in a home.

Post Likes
    All the new mini's we installed recently have louvers ( and for some time now )that swing up and down, and provide good air circ for heat because of that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in