not heating downstairs

not heating downstairs

This week the boiler's been acting funny. the heat won't come on downstairs, unless upstairs is like 73 degrees. usually we used to leave it on 70. and downstairs the same but now its not turning on. It sounds like it wants to and makes a buzzing sound, but then it doesn't do anything.

Also, last year we used to leave the heat at teh lowest temperature when we weren't home, and then turn it on when we get here. But I think its better to leave it at a stable temperature all day long, even if we are not home during the day. What is better? What do you guys do?
    thanks

we have an Enerjet BG-5 which is out of business so we dont have access to a manual.

mari

Some boiler pros may be able to lend you a hand here, but you may want to consider calling a professional to come out and check your boiler.

Do you have zone valves or circulators? How many thermostats? What kind of radiation? How old is the house? When is the last time you had a clean & check?

MA

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerBoiler MN View Post
    Do you have zone valves or circulators? How many thermostats? What kind of radiation? How old is the house? When is the last time you had a clean & check?

MA
    We have baseboard heat, the house was built 1965. and we have 2 thermostats, one upstairs, the other one downstairs. Quite honestly, I don't know about zone valves or circulators. this is a two story townhouse, don't know if that helps, also we should probably get it cleaned or whaterver we have to do. We've been living here for 1 1/2 years, and I don't know how long before that it was that uit had not been checked. Last year, the pilot cable had to be replaced. What should I ask for when calling for a cleaning or chekup. and how much do you think they charge. thanks

price is dependant on your area, all areas are different, call a heating company your neighbors trust. either you have a zone valve not working, or a pump or pump relay not working, either way a pro is the way to get it taken care of. Just tell them you have an issue with the downstairs not heating and would also like it clean and tuned while they are there.
    You can't fix stupid