Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coleman Evcon "Twinning Error"

My called up on a "twinning error" on a single speed Coleman Evcon.
    We don't see many Coleman Evcons and I can't remember seeing
    twinning error in the error code list of other brands.

The unit is not twinned. But the same company he works for replaced the board last spring. This is heating call, and the blower works when jumped, and so does the AC. Error code comes from heating only. The heating should have been tested when the board was replaced around 6 months ago, but
    since he did not replace that board, we can't say the heating worked before either.
    John

Reverse the 24V hot and common from the transformer.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Reverse the 24V hot and common from the transformer.
    When son reversed the wires relays on the board started going crazy. It turned out the leadman had replaced the board in August. In the meantime
    leadman will swing by and look at it. One of them will get a board if needed on Monday.
    John

If not twinned and flashing twinning error, reversing 24V has always solved problem.

Something is amiss with your control.

If not twinned and flashing twinning error, reversing 24V has always solved problem.

jrbenny, i'm a bit confused. isn't the residential section not the place where information such as this given? is it because it's the control (low-voltage) side of the system that makes it ok or what? i'm not busting anyones b*lls here. but, when myself and other pro's enforce that policy and then a higher-ranked member of the site doesn't, it makes me feel like i'm being overbearing by enforcing what i believe to be the sites rules and regulations. i'm in no way commenting towards the original post as, in my opinion, it doesn't sound like a D.I.Y.'er. i've just wanted to ask this a few times in the past and finally took the time to do so. thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on the specifics of the rules.

Check with records

I have access to the Pro side, but wonder why Pro does not show up
    in my description yet. I applied and got the approval via eamil?

The tool forum on the pro side is really great, esp for someone thinks the more tools, and the better tools the better. I am approved to take and amstudying for the described as difficult Texas Mechanical Contractors license.

Son works under someone elses license as independent contractor and is on his last semester in HVAC school. Sometimes calls me on interesting issues or problems.

Homeowners doing there own work can be a real issue. I had a call recently where the homeowner destroyed the circuit boards on both his units by monkeying with the wiring, then putting 10 amp fuses to take care of the blowing fuses problem. What was worse he then asked if "could be taken the boards out for him" so he could "get new ones himself" Wondered what game he had in mind?

Any advice is always appreciated. Did not get approved for the marketing and sales pro end, only the tech Pro. Figure to be able go there when the Texas license is hand.
    John

welcome aboard dfwdiesel. i had to replace a board last week and run some new two-wire on a guys furnace that he was sure he'd fixed himself by simply putting in a 15A fuse in place of, and i quote, "those 3A ones that weren't doing their job". and to mr benny, perhaps the other situations where advice was given was to other pros who didn't have their 'nametag' changed yet, who knows? definately can't say that you were involved. i just know it was a higher-up giving tech advice in the residential section, so i'd still like to gain some clarity on the topic when time exist for a reply. have a good weekend everyone.

He's obviously in the trade by his other posts.

My advice was fairly vague so that a homer couldn't follow, but clear enough that a tech could follow it.

No step-by-step. No DIY.

If you think that I'm incorrect, please report the posts to the ADMIN.

absolutely correct sir, usually the code breakdown reads as follows

* flashes----twinning error, reversed polarity

He's obviously in the trade by his other posts.

My advice was fairly vague so that a homer couldn't follow, but clear enough that a tech could follow it.

No step-by-step. No DIY.

If you think that I'm incorrect, please report the posts to the ADMIN.
    report the post to the ADMIN? whoaa. hey, its not like i was mad about it. besides. i'm not a rat. there is not one thing someone could do or say here that would make me ever do that. but all of us pros kinda 'police' the residential section for DIY'ers wanting advice. and if i referrence a site rule while doing so, i just wanted to make sure i understood what they were. i thought it didn't matter if you were addressing the poster of the topic, but more the content of the reply, as it gets archived for everyone to see whenever they desire. "reverse the 24v hot and common off of the transformer" sure sounds like instructions to me. but again, who am i to say. additionally, my looking thru any past post of anyone had nothing to do with the question i was asking. i said he didn't sound like a DIY'er on my original post.

Thumbs up Twinning error was bad board

The twinning error threw son for a curve, me too when he called me and I suggested he swap the wires and nothing changed. The leadman went out
    and changed the board. The unit worked on cooling fine. The board
    had been installed in the middle of last summer in the cooling season. The twinning error came only on heating.

Up and running now.

thanks,
    John

And that is why the unit should be tested in all modes of operation after a repair, no matter what season it is. I wish I could get this through to our newer techs.

[QUOTE=jrbenny;1682048]If not twinned and flashing twinning error, reversing 24V has always solved problem.

Put a new board on yesterday and got "twinning error". Reversed the 24v leads and its all good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast