Thread: Little help

Little help

So I'm in Cali and I don't know if it's me or the inspector but I'm having a hard time and was hoping for some input, running flex duct and using venture tape to seal the core and zip ties I cover it with the insulation and vapor barrier then seal it with venture tape I went ahead and put some duct sealer above the tape , was I wrong in doing this? Inspector said never "pookey" on top of tape I figured it was an extra step , never had a problem before and now I am, I'm confused to what he expects as far as sealing the duct any input helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I roll the VB and insulation back, then use mud on the connectors, then zip tie the core over the mudded connector, then position the insulation, then overlap the VB and tape with venture tape. Never failed a rough in or pressure test with that method.

If you do it that way, keep a wet rag handy, you're gonna need it.

Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    I roll the VB and insulation back, then use mud on the connectors, then zip tie the core over the mudded connector, then position the insulation, then overlap the VB and tape with venture tape. Never failed a rough in or pressure test with that method.

If you do it that way, keep a wet rag handy, you're gonna need it.
    I appreciate the input I'm gonna do this my question is am I doing it wrong or is your method preferred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ragajefe View Post
    am I doing it wrong or is your method preferred
    My "approved" method is by the book, same book that the inspector has read. Part of your method requires thought and reasoning on the inspectors part which is not something you want them doing. "Wrong" becomes debatable.

Mud on the vapor barrier tape is unsightly, ineffective, and unusual. Inspectors don't like unusual. You asked what he expects.

If he let it slide, be glad, modify your methods, and move on. If you had to make corrections, demand a code to sight. The CEC has all the codes and approved methods for download from their website.