Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do infinity supply and exhaust vents have to be insulated whe using a flu as a chase

I have been told that I can use the chase of an old flue to run supply and exhaust vents up to the roof for a infinity carrier gas furnace. The run will be about 40 feet mostly in the chase. My question is do the lines have to be insulated? thanks

if it is unconditioned and prone to freezing temps then yes the intake and exhaust need to be insulated

read the instalation book it will tell you

Hi i live in washington dc and it gets cold in the winter so i take it that they have to be insulated? thanks

How do contractors insulate the pipes? Can you buy them insulated? thanks

I have never insulated pipes running up an old flue, I have never had a problem with it.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

is the chase on an outside wall??? even so i would think not.

if the chase runs through the middle of the house and say 10 feet is above the roof, i would say no. Make sure they fill the top of the chimney with insulation before capping it though.

What about the instalation requirements of carrier which require it?

You need to hire another contractor if you don't trust them to read the install manual.

Or

You need to ask them for the install manual and you can follow them each step of the way. That will make the job go much smoother.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

The thing that concerns me is that several responses from installers on this board who I expect know the requirement feel its not necessay.

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    What about the instalation requirements of carrier which require it?

you mean the one that says if the pipes are 12' exposed to the outdoors? This is a semi tempered space. Plus when the pipes are vertical they will drain the condensate just fine.

You shouldnt have to insulate the vents. I have installed them thru the roof, chimney, walls,etc. and never had a problem. Some contractors do insulate the pipes for piece of mind. They use armeflex or the insulation that you would see on plumbing or refrigeration pipes

contrary to popular opinion. Any time i run intake and exhaust pipes in an uncondition space that could be exposed to freezing temps i insulate then with armaflex

i have found even tho it more then likely will be ok what about that one time it isnt. As i have always said once bitten once learned

ran up a 20ft chase outside and didnt insulate the pipes and a real cold front came through exhaust froze at the bottom elbow. ***** to do after the fact when it doesnt take any longer to slide the armaflex over the pipe as you run

if this chases is unconditioned then most makers want the pipes to be insulated even in a garage or chase. I have yet to read where it says may need to be insulated if the space is unconditioned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast