Hi Folks,
I am a technical sales advisor for a solar installer in Santa Fe New Mexico. I have an number of customers that are changing their heating/ac to heat pumps and am looking for assistance to calculate a reasonable estimate of the kilowatt hour usage so I can add the correct number of solar panels to handle the electric load for the heat pump.

The first home I am working with is a 1500 sq. ft. passive solar design with trombe walls; standard height ceilings; new windows. Santa Fe is at 7,000 feet altitude and technically zone 5 although we do not experience the sustained freezes of say a zone 5 like Chicago. Here is a link to US Climate data for Santa Fe: http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/usnm0292.

I realize that having a make and model would be very helpful, but this client is not sure what they are going to buy and wants me to calculate the potential solar system size with an imaginary heat pump to evaluate if they want to go with a heat pump. Is it possible to arrive at at an estimated electric load for this scenario? If this is not enough info please let me know what else I can provide...

Your input and assistance is greatly appreciated!

Maria H.