Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zoning and other follow-up questions

I had an earlier thread about picking a contractor and got great advice from the team here.
    I have now gotten 3 different estimates, and these estimates vary a bit. There are 2 Trane and 1 carrier estimates all are from long term local companies and I feel they are all reliable. One of the carrier and one of the trane estimates are nearly identical cost wise. One of the trane esimates is 40% higher than the other 2.

Since this is a zoning system, with heat only (we live in an area that does not require air conditioning) and the zoning control and performance is the most important part of the deal to us I had some questions.

It appears that both of the Trane estimates include different zone system vendors, does Trane make a zoning system of their own?

The carrier guy told me that the infinity system is the best on the market if you want automatic zone control. Both of the trane guys were quoting third party zoning systems (one honeywell, one white-rodgers). The Carrier guy kept telling me how advanced the infinity system is given that it is infiniately adjustable compared to the honeywell and others that were not. With a zone system is a load calc different?

Is the Infinity zone system that much better than the others mentioned? Everything else seems to be similar. I am goiing with 2 speed, 90+ efficiency units.

anything else that I am missing?

I did get into contact with a local installer who frequents these boards, but he was too far away (with traffic) for the deal to make sense.

If you are technically challenged, the Carrier is not for you. If you get along well with gadgets, it is the most advanced available. I have not used it, but I have installed the Lennox Harmony III and like it. But Carrier is the Mercedes of zoning systems.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

If you don't go with the Infinity, the key is getting a panel that knows what to do with staging the equipment besides letting the timer do it. That maximizes comfort & efficiency and avoids constant cycling on high limit. My favorites are the new Honeywell True Zone or Jackson's Z600. Both can use 2 stage stats for zones that can handle all the heat the furnace can deliver. Or if no zone can do that, they can be set up to call to high when enough zones are open to properly handle that heat. The new Honeywell will do what Zonex does, if the temp approaches the high limit, it will drop back to low to avoid shutting down the furnace completely.

Carrier Infinity system is a good system. I work for a authorized Carrier dealer in N.C. and install these systems as well. You can basically control everything from the Infinity t-stat. It's the Mercedes of zoning systems and expensive like a Mercedes. But these systems can be confusing for some of the customers that I have worked for. I advise you, if you do go with this system, read and ask all the questions that you can think of and have the technician go over EVERYTHING about how the system works

Quote Originally Posted by HVACSvc08 View Post
    Carrier Infinity system is a good system. I work for a authorized Carrier dealer in N.C. and install these systems as well. You can basically control everything from the Infinity t-stat. It's the Mercedes of zoning systems and expensive like a Mercedes. But these systems can be confusing for some of the customers that I have worked for. I advise you, if you do go with this system, read and ask all the questions that you can think of and have the technician go over EVERYTHING about how the system works
    What part of NC are you?

Quote Originally Posted by HVACSvc08 View Post
    I am very comfortable around electronics, I actually used to write software for embedded devices for a living, now I am just a sales guy.

So it sounds to me like infinity is a great (albeit expensive) way to solve the zoning problem.

The guy who sells these for the company lives 2 miles from our house and is pretty customer oriented, so I am pretty comfortable with the company from that perspective.

Should I get another carrier estimate from another vendor?

The carrier will serve you well. if you are comfortable with contractor and he is in line with what you have gotten. I'd go with him. If you get a lessor contractor with cheap quote that can throw a wrench in your decission.
    We install a ton of infinity zone systems and I have few compaints of complex controls

BTW thanks all who replied to this thread on Thanksgiving.

Any opinions on carrier air filtration? We won't have AC and we have our windows open a good amount. We don't really have allergies, but we do have a dog.

Thoughts?

The Carrier system should come with 4in media that will serve well

You might want to get an additional estimate for the MVB furnace versus the MTB. I have found the variable speed carrier is much nicer with zoning, it is much more forgiving with duct static preasures and the ability to set up a constant fan at a level that won't annoy you is much better than any multi speed system. or did i read this wrong? anyways , ive installed quite a few infinity systems and found them not that hard to set up or adjust from the stat. It also keeps track of things like hours run, system event failures, duct static, filter status. Personally I think it is the bomb.

Infinity is the bomb. I agree 100%. Also it cost alot too but it's worth the money if you are willing to spend the money. Since I install these systems all the time I want to put this system in my house.

Let me make sure we are going with the variable speed unit and not the multi speed unit.

Every sales guy I talked to had the exact system he was going to sell me installed in his own home (2 trane and 1 carrier). One guy even offered to let me check out the install at his house. Everyone told me that I didn't need air cleaning as we had our windows open quite a bit.

I am going to get one more estimate from a carrier dealer just to do a pricing sanity check, as this is not just an economic rounding error and I will be living with the choice for many years.

From a sales tactics perspectives what are the right questions to ask on an extended warranty? The carrier estimate includes a dealer offered extension to the warranty that is awfuly affordable (it is something like 5% uplift to the total system cost, which seems very very low to me). If this is too close to pricing I apologize.

Question I have for these contractors is, Are there other brands that offer modulating zone dampers and controls than Carrier?

Some mentioned Honeywell, Zonex, Jackson Systems, and Trane. Because I haven't found any yet. And when I do I would like an alternative instead of Carrier/Bryant as a only choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast