Condensate Pump - what's your take

Hello from Austin, Tx

Participated in a town hall tonight with condo owners (high end condos) and their units on avg are about 3-4 years old. Some are experiencing pump failure from clogged drain lines, to check valve failure and burn out.

Mind you there has been minimal to no maintenance performed on these pumps, when asked the question how long should these pumps last I responded 3-5 years based on these conditions.

Naturally, that was not received well but was validated by a resident that said their hvac company said present conditions 4 years.

Now also keep in mind, these units are on fan coil units above ceiling often in very tight spots so maintenance will not be an easy feat.

Perfect world with normal maintenance I say 10 years on a unit, but with what I described what are your thoughts on time in service?

Thanks you guys and gals

With no regular maintenance to test the pump and clear those lines, you're asking for trouble. Why don't they strike a service agreement with an HVAC contractor?

I have been using these pumps in a building that usually gets about 2 years out of the pumps due to things in the air. Its been about a year and a half on the first pump. The tank is pretty clean, as the handyman uses the self clean feature once a month.
    http://www.diversitech.com/Product-L...0000005QEykIAG

We are on the same page. I suggested that but there is a bit of contention on who should pay. 130+ units! prob 300 or so fcu's and the placement of them this will not be a cheap maintenance.

On the other side will be cheaper then replacing your ceiling, clothes, etc..

high end ? they should at least be able to afford a maintenance once a year. throw some pan tabs in the drain pan and on to the next.

i always tell customers that it was made to last the life of the system. and i expect to get 10 years out of my system. i also let them know that i maintenance my system once a year.
    then i tell them about the systems i have seen that had no maintenance and only lasted a few years before they where shot. if you add up the cost of maintenance vs the cost of replacement and higher energy bills they tend to replace their air filters and go for the maintenance.
    time in service is related to how it is used and cared for.
    make sure you let them know their designer poodle is to blame for the pump failure.

You can suggest to your customer to install a wet switch that turns off your system, remember you should have your pump in a condensation pan, when you install a condensation pump you should hook up the low voltage wires in series with your Y or W terminal, it turns off your system if the pump stops from working, good luck.

in a perfect world the fancoil is trapped coming off the unit and drops into the condensate bucket..and is pumped out.no chance in catching the washer machine drain off...and the big question is where are the pumping out to after it comes out of the pump..if the pump is right on the unit those things are garbage
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY