Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    if you have a boiler then maybe you want to look into an inderect water heater zoned off the bolier

boilermate and wielmclain are good unit with high recovery rates depending on boiler btu

That works great in the winter when the boiler is running. What about the other half of the year?

hvacconsultant, thanks for the help so far. Another question, so are the longer warranty units worth the money? It seem like most of the longer warranty units have the thicker insulation, like R16.

I have a Wiel McLain boiler but I don't think I want keep the boiler running year around.

Usually the longer the warranty the better the construction as you would expect. I think that the better units are worth the money, they may or may not pay for themselves with energy saving, but they will perform better and hopefully last longer. That is a decision you will have to make.

I've always been told the longer warrant heaters come off the same line as the others, they just get an extra Anode. Making sure you keep a good anode in a heater makes them last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacconsultant View Post
    That works great in the winter when the boiler is running. What about the other half of the year?

the boiler is uased to heat the water year round. If you were to look into it more closely you will find in most cases it turns out to be cheaper to operate in the long run

also with the average recovery rate of ten to fifteen minutes you can also have back to back showers and still have hot water

i ave seen the wielmclain heater heat water from 50 to 120 in 15 minutes you cant find a standart water heater to do that.

Do a little reading at www.waterheaterrescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    the boiler is uased to heat the water year round. If you were to look into it more closely you will find in most cases it turns out to be cheaper to operate in the long run

also with the average recovery rate of ten to fifteen minutes you can also have back to back showers and still have hot water

i ave seen the wielmclain heater heat water from 50 to 120 in 15 minutes you cant find a standart water heater to do that.
    I wasn't trying to be as sarcastic as it came off, but I mean now you are operating a [presumably 78% eff] boiler at part load year round which is even more inefficient and at worst reducing its capacity when it is needed at design temp.

try draining your heater each month --

my 1974 elec HWH is clean enuf that ea 3m is ok --
    [yes, I did replace the elements in 1999 & 1 t-stat]
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

You do want to operater your boiler year-round!

You do want to operate your boiler year-round!
    This is by far one of he most efficient ways to heat domestic hot water available today. The typical indirect water heater will use 25% less fuel, produce twice the hot water and last three times longer than a conventional hot water heater.

Your boiler will usually only operate for minutes per day. As it is probably in a cold basement, you will not notice its operation. Indirect or companion heaters are super-insulated losing less than a half degree per hour.

Indirect fired or water heaters also eliminate a flue and don't require gas lines.

This is one of the best-kept secrets in the industry.

MA

Quote Originally Posted by hvacconsultant View Post
    I wasn't trying to be as sarcastic as it came off, but I mean now you are operating a [presumably 78% eff] boiler at part load year round which is even more inefficient and at worst reducing its capacity when it is needed at design temp.

turns out it is more efficient to use indirect \ i am trying to find some specs on it today

it also gives more hot water at less cost and in high demand this is the best way to go

Well, I ordered the A. O. Smith Promax high recovery 50 gallon XCVT-50. It should arrive on Friday and a plumber will install it on Saturday. I hope there won't be any suprises on replacing the 3" flue to a 4" one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12