Trane XE80 air filter design

Hello all -

As all of you are well aware, the air filter for the XE80 is inside the unit (in my case on the bottom of the unit). I recently had the unit serviced and the tech told me that the unit was getting dirty due to the fact that the XE80 uses this "in-unit" air filter as opposed to the filters being located at the inflow grate itself. He also mentioned that the capacitor was at 75% of capacity due to the unit getting dirty. He recommended that I remove the in-unit air filter and replace the air inflow grates with a different type of grate that allows me to put an air filter there as opposed to inside the unit.

At first, this makes sense but the more I thought about it, it doesn't as Trane is well-known company and designed the unit this way intentionally. My questions are:
    1) Does this recommendation make sense?
    2) If not, why is my unit getting dirty inside and the capacitor now at 75% of capacity.

Thanks in advance
    Brian

Trane did not design the unit so the filter has to go in the furnace only. They did that so a lazy installer that dosn't care if its hard for the homeowner to change the filter or not at least has somplace to put the filter. We always design our filtering systems to be outside the furnace and easy for the homeowner to change. I would have no idea why this is effecting your capaciter. I would say its just going bad and more than likely needs changed.
    Its a good Life!

If your filter has been in the unit, then all the dust and dirt that are now in the duct before the filter will now be after the filter if you change to a filter grille. You would have to have your duct cleaned (or replaced) before you go this route. And, if there is any duct leakage, you will be sucking dirt in after the filter.

I agree with the previous post I dont care much for lazy or low bid installers using the internal OEM filter rack either when a filter rack can be installed outside the furnace at the inlet, but sometimes the options are difficult or cost prohibative to the customer. Neither do I see any relationship between some dust and a capacitor losing ground.

thanks much!

I never ran across an OEM filter rack that I would use. The one Trane puts in their furnaces is actually one of the better ones, but I still junk them and install an external filter when installing a system.

I prefer high efficiency media type filters, installed at/near the return inlet of the furnace, rather than filter grills.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

The trane filter rack is good for one thing the trash.