Vacation Temperature Settings (Winter Climate)

Vacation Temperature Settings (Winter Climate)

What do you set your thermostat at when you are going on vacation when you live in a cold climate? I usually do 50.

Same here.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
    - Steven Wright

We often leave the pets behind and people come in an out to take care of them several times a day. We probably drop it 5 or 10 degrees at most. I guess it's personaly preference. I just hate to come back and turn it back up and potentially wait 3 hours for it to warm up.

I think it also depends on what type of heat you have as well as the outdoor temperatures at the time.

I have a heat pump in Baltimore. If it's below freezing out, the aux heat will probably be needed to bring the house back to setpoint with the programmable stat. If I had gas heat, it wouldn't matter.

I have a 2 furnace system, I set one at 50, and the other at 45 to act as a backup.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    I tell customers to turn it up. If the house loses a degree an hour, the difference between 50 and 75 is at least 25 extra hours before the house freezes up.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Hmm Let it Snow

Snowbird, I think the attached article will help you. Don’t forget the sun tan oil!

http://masterhandyman.com/columndeta...date=20071110;)
    The quality of my performance, sometimes depends on the quality of my audience.
    Imitation (Plagiarism) is the best compliment one can get -- "Open A Window"

To improve Indoor Air Quality: Control Indoor Air QUANTITY = "I.A.Q.Q."

A few options

It all depends on 3 things:
    a. budget
    b. the inconvenience of turning up the heat when coming back
    c. any valuable items in the house

I am personally not too concerned with the time it takes to heat it up. When returning from vacation, if house is too cold then go home, turn the heat up. Go for a restaurant for dinner then come back. Should be OK after dinner (if it was at 58-60 F).

1. For a typical home with some valuable items like: good furnitures, piano, then it is a good idea to keep some min temp like 58-60 F. It is a good compromise between cost of heating and potential damage to valuable items.

2. Some people are short of budget and have no valuable items let's say in a log cabin, they drain all water out of the house system, and turn the heat down to 45-50F or even turning it off completely (I don't think you should turn it off completely even if you drain the water because there is always some water in the line just BEFORE the water valve that can freeze).

(During the northeast power outage a few years back, my brother did the exact same thing, drain all water and lived elsewhere, there was no power for 3-4 weeks in Montreal Canada in ? around 1999).

3. Different topic, but when on vacation, I always turn the main water valve in the basement off. Never know one of the water supply rubber hose (like the one for washing machine) bursts, I have friends who had this happened....$30K damage.
    These rubber hoses should be replaced every 7-8 years anyway.

Frown Link

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Snowbird, I think the attached article will help you. Don’t forget the sun tan oil!

http://masterhandyman.com/columndeta...date=20071110;)
    If the article does not come up, then type in the upper right corner where it says "Enter Topic Here" SNOWBIRD, then select the first article.
    The quality of my performance, sometimes depends on the quality of my audience.
    Imitation (Plagiarism) is the best compliment one can get -- "Open A Window"

To improve Indoor Air Quality: Control Indoor Air QUANTITY = "I.A.Q.Q."

Don't lower the furnace below 60Ίf. This is the minimum temperature that a gas furnace should operate.

This is to prevent "cold soak". The HX will not be hot enough to dry it's self. In other words it will be wet with condensation and rust out prematurely.

OK I'm officially confused, in my post a few below this, regarding a condensing furnace, Milk Man told me not to set my furnace in my workshop to 50 degrees as it will corrode the heat exchanger if it's not Stainless Steel. A number of you are indicating here it's OK. So is it or isn't it? Are SS heat exchangers the exception or the rule? For my purposes, I'm only concerned about liquids freezing and rust on my tools. It's worked OK for me for years with the wall furnace I have but it's not a condensing unit.

The stainless steel in some brands is not of the quality of stainless steel that won't rust. So I'd say don't run the furnace below the manufactures minimum recommendations.

I can't speak to the old furnace that was out there because I haven’t looked at it. Wall furnaces where never very effecient. So it may have had enough heat in it not to be an issue.

Long and short. Find out what the manufacture says.