Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

hot surface ignitors

What would cause a HSI to burn out, besides touching it with your bare hands. I changed one a couple of weeks ago and it burnt out in a couple of days. I'm thinking because it was out of it oranial packagking and someone touched it. So I replaced it with a brand new one That I know did not touch and it burnt out again after a couple of days.

Please help

Thanks David

delay ignition, to much dust in the burners collecting on the ignitor
    wrong ignitor. Using a short warmup time ignitor in place of the longer time one. Improper voltage to the ignitor.

I have seen boards that keep the ignitor on continously, if your not a tech, call for service and have a trained eye check it out. Any more ignitors and it won't take long to get past the service call price. Plus if it continues to knock em out that quick, you won't keep buying them, he will.
    You can't fix stupid

Hsi

"Made in China" may be the problem.
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

You didn't say what make and model furnace. Those Amanas that are held in with a spring clip have to be careful that they have enough clearance between the hsi and the burner.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

touching them with your hands is just an ole wives tale.

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    delay ignition, to much dust in the burners collecting on the ignitor
    wrong ignitor. Using a short warmup time ignitor in place of the longer time one. Improper voltage to the ignitor.
    I agree also added:malfunctioning board,intermittent safety lockout or control cycling hsi over & over which could be a few things in itself:leaves in intake,weak pressure switch,blockage in pressure tubing,cycling on limit,gross short cycling of thermostat,poor flame sensing,etc.
    There are alot of things that can cause an ignitor to burn out.
    Touching it will not hurt it according to norton.
    you have an other issue that needs attention.
    Take your time & do it right!

don't pay attention to this guy's on calling a tech , fist check for reverse pollierty, has anybody touched or replaced breackers? go to ground and commone , no voltage , good then go to L2 120v great, then i would check your board it has a relay then could be sticking , suggestion ! replace it. i will follow up , o by the way dont worry about your spelling, i have a live to notice , good luck , o by the way call tech sopport, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by newbeetech View Post
    don't pay attention to this guy's on calling a tech , fist check for reverse pollierty, has anybody touched or replaced breackers? go to ground and commone , no voltage , good then go to L2 120v great, then i would check your board it has a relay then could be sticking , suggestion ! replace it. i will follow up , o by the way dont worry about your spelling, i have a live to notice , good luck , o by the way call tech sopport, good luck
    are you for real? firstly, if your are a tech (and i doubt that you are), why would you not want him to call a professional out to look at it? you, if you are a tech, might be the one to get the service call. i'm not sure how you earn your income but i have to go places to work on or install equipment. next - exactly what polarity are you referring to that could be reversed at the ignitor? if you've installed one or two of them, you'd know why i asked that. next - please give me a real quick rundown of the problems you think might exist, regarding his ignitor, if someone had touched or replaced his breakers recently. next - great job on telling someone who hasn't even indicated that he owns a meter or given any indication of knowing how to use one some garbled up, mis-spelled encouragement to jump right in there and do some electrical work (possibly hurting himself). next - give him the advice to replace the board. just like that huh. no other info you'd want to know before just recommending to throw one in there? you'd recommend that vs. calling a service company? next - call tech support? where? what's their number? do you work there? who exactly owes this person tech support? lastly - thats mighty considerate of you to tell others to not worry about their spelling since you obviously don't spend any time checking yours. (what is a "live to notice"?)

Posts like this are why the professionals on this site do not like HO and DIY questions. This has got to be the worst advice I have seen in a long time.

To the original poster; call in a professional tech to find your problem and fix it.

To all other DIY HOs; let this thread be a warning as to why working on your own HVAC system may cost you more in time and money, not to mention the safety factors, then calling in a professional. YES!!!! IT "IS" ROCKET SCIENCE! That, along with a lot of other sciences.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Confused

i was just looking thru some of the current postings and came across yours from yesterday where you were asking for help diagnosing an ignitor and today you're not only giving advice on how to repair a furnace with an ignitor problem, but encouraging this person NOT to call a tech out. you claim to be a tech and you were stumped yet you came across like his getting the recommendation to have a pro come out is just a sham. wtf? by the way, you chastised some one else (on the other thread) for not looking at your past post and 'knowing' that you were a pro. also, for calling you a 'HO'. 'HO' means 'H'ome 'O'wner which you would know if you'd read any past posts. one of the ways i tell who is and who isn't a pro, without doing any reading of previous post, is the 'professional member' badge right there by our names. yours just says 'regular member'. why is that? another way is tell if a person is a professional anything is if they can spell, or come even close to it. i'd spend some time learning how to do that if i were you, but thats just my opinion.

I suggest you either apply for professional membership for this site or stop giving technical advice to others.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

listen, i am sorry, i thought this guy was a tech and that he just needed a little advice , just like i do at times. infact if you looked at my threads you'll find that i too was treated like that yesterday and was called a "DIY" AND A "HO" BY so called a "Pro" if he truly was a pro he could have looked at my past threads and find out that i am a tech too. was just in a little bind an needed simple advice, but all i got was told " call a pro ho " or better yet check this guy's spelling. i thought i was helping a fellow tech i swear,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast