Thread: Ez Trap Wiring

Ez Trap Wiring

hELLO ALL

I have a question i was thinking about the eztrap wiring for the float switch.. Why do they have you connect to the white wire from t-stat. What is up with that. would it be better to connect it to yellow to shut down compressor or even to R to shut system down.. well i have to wire one tommorow on air handler and was just doing some reading on the eztrap products... Have three wires only need two.. one can be used to an alarm.. Any info would be great..

ryan

I wire Rd in to C from unit,NC to the Rd to t-stat,NO to the check light terminal on the t-stat.That is how I have been doing it for years.

Thanks for the quick reply... Makes sense.....

thanks again

ryan

No prob,anything to help an fellow tech.

You're right!

http://www.eztrap.com/documents/inst...zt-wiring2.jpg

If all you want to do is kill cool then the yellow, not the white, is what you'd want to use - and ignore that factory diagram.

IF you had a 90% furnace going into a condensate pump, then the white wire would be what you'd want to break. I suspect that the wonderfully wise engineers at eztrap just duplicated a drawing for a condenate pump used on a 90% furn and packaged it with the trap.

Ignore the diagram. Do what you already knew was right. Send eztrap a letter and resume, explain how badly they need to hire someone as bright as you!

Are you sure they didn't mean the white wire from the transformer? The white on the stat is usually heat. If it's a single stage unit I would go with a wire that would shut down evap fan and cond. unit. Sometimes it is better to keep fan running I suppose, but problem may not be discovered since customer may not notice unit not functioning as long as fan is running.

Thanks everyone for getting back with all info..
    i was thinking about the post stated that you can use the ( NO ) post and wire it to the tstat post like teminal ( L ) or so for it to light up at stat. What would someone do if there is no L terminal or you dont have anymore wires to choose from up at the stat ( or coming down from stat. ) Well i like the saying that you will never know everything .. just keep reading & learning...

I try to learn something everyday..

Thanks again for the replys..

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by r247yan View Post
    Thanks everyone for getting back with all info..
    i was thinking about the post stated that you can use the ( NO ) post and wire it to the tstat post like teminal ( L ) or so for it to light up at stat. What would someone do if there is no L terminal or you dont have anymore wires to choose from up at the stat ( or coming down from stat. )
    ryan
    Back when I used to residential work, I'd always install t-stat with lights, or even install a little panel under the stat with lights. They wouldn't just show faults. They'd turn on when, heat, cool or fan ran. Cost me a bunch of extra $ on the install. And a bunch of labor to pull the wires. None of it in the quote.

But in a few weeks or months a neigbor or realtive would see the light(s) on, while walking thru the house and ask the HO about it. He'd brag on it. The neighbor or relative would ask him for the name of the contractor.

I'd get a call. He wanted a system just like Mr. Jones had. I'd explain on the phone that Mr. Jones had opted for the very best system on the market. (Frankly, I lied, because Mr. Jones was just the average cheap SOB!) But the friend or relative couldn't stand to be one-uped by his neighbor or relative.

So I'd give the neighbor or relative a quote for all new top end equipment - with a light display panel. He'd go out for competive quotes. My competion didn't know how to quote him a "light display panel" - so I'd get the job. I'd install top of the line equipment - and a light display panel for Mr. Smith. Next thing I knew I had Smith's neighbors and relatives calling. You can see the progression.

I long ago got out of the residential biz. Too much evening, night and weekend work. But I still maintain that the way to make $ in the residential biz is with "buzzers and lights and bells."

Love those "L" terminals. Pity the poor techs who now service Mr Jones, Smith, and all those neighbors. They'll open the door to the furnace and see "spagetti" and wire nuts everywhere, tied to all those lights and common.

If they can get that figured out, then I'd probably like to hire them!

The red and white they are referring to are the colors of the harness on the EZ-Trap. Red/White are the NC switch. I wire it to only turn off the condenser.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas