Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XL16i wiring question.

I recently had an XL16i HP installed by what I thought was a reputable local company. They were recommended by several local people and after 3 estimates I gave them the go ahead.

They were actually the most expensive (not by a whole lot), but the recommendations and talking with their salesman swayed me.

They have been out 4 times since the install with 5 different people and wired the AH/TS/comp differently each time. Here is the current setup, can someone tell me with any certainty if this is correct or incorrect?

System:
    3T XL16i heat pump
    4TEE3D40 air handler
    TCONT803 thermostat
    HEAT STRIPS FOR AUXILIARY HEAT

Here is the wiring:
    TS --AH --COMP
    Y2 --Y --YEL/RED

E/AUX --W1/W2/W3 --BLACK; E/AUX TIED TOGETHER IN AH; W1,2,3 JUMPERED IN AH

RC/R --R jumpered to BK --RED; R/RC JUMPERED IN TS

O/B --O --ORANGE

Y --YLO --YELLOW

G --G --N/C

C --B --BLUE

From what I am able to gather from previous posts this is not correct. Any and all help would be appreciated before I call then out once again.

Thank you very much.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_FL View Post
    I recently had an XL16i HP installed by what I thought was a reputable local company. They were recommended by several local people and after 3 estimates I gave them the go ahead.

They were actually the most expensive (not by a whole lot), but the recommendations and talking with their salesman swayed me.

They have been out 4 times since the install with 5 different people and wired the AH/TS/comp differently each time. Here is the current setup, can someone tell me with any certainty if this is correct or incorrect?

System:
    3T XL16i heat pump
    4TEE3D40 air handler
    TCONT803 thermostat
    HEAT STRIPS FOR AUXILIARY HEAT

Here is the wiring:
    TS --AH --COMP
    Y2 --Y --YEL/RED

E/AUX --W1/W2/W3 --BLACK; E/AUX TIED TOGETHER IN AH; W1,2,3 JUMPERED IN AH

RC/R --R jumpered to BK --RED; R/RC JUMPERED IN TS

O/B --O --ORANGE

Y --YLO --YELLOW

G --G --N/C

C --B --BLUE

From what I am able to gather from previous posts this is not correct. Any and all help would be appreciated before I call then out once again.

Thank you very much.
    It is not wired correctly.

You have a two stage single compressor. Second stage y2 is controled through B/K Have the dealer come back out and have them look at page 5 of the installer's guide.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    It is not wired correctly.

You have a two stage single compressor. Second stage y2 is controled through B/K Have the dealer come back out and have them look at page 5 of the installer's guide.
    Thank you very much. I have the installer's guide in the information they left me, makes it very plain. Why didn't they know that?

Can't know every detail in life. Unfortunately, they didn't check the wiring diagram.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Can't know every detail in life. Unfortunately, they didn't check the wiring diagram.
    That is very true. I do give them credit, they are trying.

How do I approach then with this as to not really PO them? That is not my intent. I just want my equipment working properly.

Thanks again.

Page 5 of the installers guide, that came with the outdoor unit, has very clear instructions on how to wire an XL16i heat pump system with a variable speed air handler....
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Page 5 of the installers guide, that came with the outdoor unit, has very clear instructions on how to wire an XL16i heat pump system with a variable speed air handler....
    Thank you, sir. I will get my contractor out here tomorrow and suggest he look at pg. 5 of the installer's guide for the XL16i heat pump.

I appreciate all of the help.

Thank you, sir. I will get my contractor out here tomorrow and suggest he look at pg. 5 of the installer's guide for the XL16i heat pump.

I appreciate all of the help.

If you would of had the XL19i, then the Y and Y2 would of been used.. It has two compressor, so 50% capcity vs 80% on the XL16i.

How do I approach then with this as to not really PO them? That is not my intent. I just want my equipment working properly.

Thanks again.
    I had this same problem a few weeks ago. My American Standard Heritage 16 was wired wrong. During the install, he told me this was his first dual fuel install. After getting some guidance from some of the smart pros on the board, I called him back and said, "You might want to look at page 5 of the HP install guide". When he came out, he looked at it and said, yup, I should have done it that way. He did and it has been working ever since.
    Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
    I had this same problem a few weeks ago. My American Standard Heritage 16 was wired wrong. During the install, he told me this was his first dual fuel install. After getting some guidance from some of the smart pros on the board, I called him back and said, "You might want to look at page 5 of the HP install guide". When he came out, he looked at it and said, yup, I should have done it that way. He did and it has been working ever since.
    Yea, I am sure they will take no offense if I suggest that, they are actually very easy to work with. They admitted during install to not being entirely certain of the wiring. No one is perfect, especially me!

Unhappy

Thanks again.
    They should not get PO'ed they should be embarrassed at the least.

The biggest problem that dealers of all brands are faced with is the temptation set by there distributors to up-sell to the consumer. This dealer no matter how well advertised or how large his employee base is should never have attempted to install your system without knowing how the system is supposed to function.

Follow up to this. They came back out and I mentioned page 5 of the install guide. The tech wired it according to the manual and everything seemed to be wired correctly when he was done. He went through the thermostat setup, checked the wiring there and outside. He then tested the system.

He went to test mode in the tstat and called for stage 1 and 2 cool. All was fine. When he switched to heat and turned on stage 1 there was a high pitched sound from the outside unit. It was not very loud, but it was noticeable. He listened intently, but the sound went away after a minute, maybe a little less. He assured me it was nothing to worry about.

He had checked the pressures earlier and pronounced them fine.

It only happens in a call for heat, I verified this a couple of times to make sure. Cooling mode does not make the noise. My question is this, should this be a cause for concern, or as the tech said, is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks to all of the guys who helped out so far!

Is it heating ok or is the electric heat doing all the work?

I had a Trane XL14i R-410A heat pump that worked great in the cooling mode, temps and pressures ok but the compressor failed. Found out the outdoor txv was not opening and in the heating mode the compressor starved.

If you are concerned and they are willing to come back again, have them check pressures in the heating mode if they did not do so already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast