Filter/Dryer question

Filter/Dryer question

Because my Trane XL19i was not properly evacuated during installation the contractor agreed to replace the filter/dryer and recharge with new Freon.

This was done yesterday, and I witnessed that it held a vacuum of 230 microns for several minutes.

My question concerns the old "filter/dryer" that was replaced. I attach photos of where it was installed, the item itself, the pipe that replaced it and the new filter/dryer.

Edit - Pictures may be too small to read the labels on the components, but the gray item is marked "Muffler Charge Compensator" and the black item is marked "Filter-Dryer"

I'm not the professional (just the homeowner), but is this OK?

Comments please.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by jeff520; 11-20-2007 at 11:00 AM.

I would have moved it as well. It makes it much easier if it ever has to be changed in the future.

Perhaps I should have been more specific.

The item removed is just an empty shell. There is no obstruction (filter) between the pipes in and out. There is nothing inside the shell, no baffles or material packed on the periphery.

?Did I ever have a filter/drier
    ?What benefit from removing a "muffler"

My bad. I didnt read the label.
    Yep it appears he removed your charge compensater/muffler. He needs to put it back on!
    Apparently you never had a filter drier. There is no benefit in removing the muffler.

Smile

Jeff,
    You are correct, the pictures are to small to read the fine print. Perhaps you are correct and it was not a filter dryer. Did you open the (filter/dryer - muffler) and was there not screen or filter inside?

What you do know know now is that you have a filter dryer installed and that the unit was properly evacuated. Be Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by cep a/c View Post
    Jeff,
    You are correct, the pictures are to small to read the fine print. Perhaps you are correct and it was not a filter dryer. Did you open the (filter/dryer - muffler) and was there not screen or filter inside?

What you do know know now is that you have a filter dryer installed and that the unit was properly evacuated. Be Happy!
    Cep, I was able to make out the writing on the muffler.
    Jeff, the muffler serves a definite purpose as does the compensator. The muffler reduces noise (go figure) and the compensator prevents any liquid from entering the compressor.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jeff520 View Post
    Because my Trane XL19i was not properly evacuated during installation the contractor agreed to replace the filter/dryer and recharge with new Freon.

This was done yesterday, and I witnessed that it held a vacuum of 230 microns for several minutes.

My question concerns the old "filter/dryer" that was replaced. I attach photos of where it was installed, the item itself, the pipe that replaced it and the new filter/dryer.

Edit - Pictures may be too small to read the labels on the components, but the gray item is marked "Muffler Charge Compensator" and the black item is marked "Filter-Dryer"

I'm not the professional (just the homeowner), but is this OK?

Comments please.

Your dealer continues to show a lack of knowledge for the product that he is representing.

The part that was removed is a muffler/ charge compensator. When it is installed in the discharge line from the compressor it would be a muffler for the compressor.

When it is used in the liquid circuit of the coil it is a charge compensator for heat pumps on certain size units to compensate for refrigerant storage in the heating mode.

Your filter driers are located on the outside of the coil on the same side as the service valves.

Is the drier the copper cylinder at the top right of the big picture?

Little picture is a close up of it so you can see the markings.

Edit: You said driers.. (Your filter driers are located on the outside of the coil on the same side as the service valves.)

Is there more than one?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by jeff520; 11-20-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Question # of driers

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jeff520 View Post
    Is the drier the copper cylinder at the top right of the big picture?

Little picture is a close up of it so you can see the markings.

Edit: You said driers.. (Your filter driers are located on the outside of the coil on the same side as the service valves.)

Is there more than one?
    That is a filter drier. follow out the top of it and there should be a T going to the left of your picture towards the black salt shield and returning to the top of the TXV for the second one.

There would not be any problem with the on board driers if the only problem with the install was that they did not pull a vacume. Recovering the refrigerant and pulling a vacume down to 350 microns and recharging is the only step needed.