thermomstat setup question

thermomstat setup question

I recently had a American Standard 2 stage Freedom 90 installed & had a quick question on thermostat setting - it's an ACON401 I beleive. The setting for Stage 1 CPH = 3, for Stage 2 CPH = 5. Should Stage 2 be set to 3 CPH as well.

I really like this site - alot of good info from the pros to help homeowners like me get a little education on heating and air.

Kburd,
    I like your enthuasism and willingness to learn. I don't think the site rules allow for me to answer your question. Perhaps you look at the set up manual that came with the T stat. Good Luck and God Bless!

Question

cep a/c - The install manual for the thermostat doesn't go into any detail on settings. I don't think I had to make any changes to the defaults settings, but the stage 2 cycles per hour default=5, whereas stage1=3. I know the pros on this board recommend cph=3 for high effic units so I updated the stage2 cph to 3 as well. I don't think it will make a big difference since I don't think it will exceed 3 occurences in stage 2 in an hour anyways - stage 2 hasn't been called for yet and when it gets that cold the cycles should be long enough to never reach beyond stage2 3 times in an hour.

i had my 8000 set up at factory default of 3 cph on both speeds, i noticed when in heat pump mode the system

kicked from hi to low speed IMO much to often, adjusted down to 2 cph, worked like magic

instead of kicking into hi speed every 20 minutes it is stable and keeps proper temp in low speed

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kburd View Post
    cep a/c - The install manual for the thermostat doesn't go into any detail on settings. I don't think I had to make any changes to the defaults settings, but the stage 2 cycles per hour default=5, whereas stage1=3. I know the pros on this board recommend cph=3 for high effic units so I updated the stage2 cph to 3 as well. I don't think it will make a big difference since I don't think it will exceed 3 occurences in stage 2 in an hour anyways - stage 2 hasn't been called for yet and when it gets that cold the cycles should be long enough to never reach beyond stage2 3 times in an hour.
    Looks like you have a good understanding of how the systems works. You should be good to go.

Thanks for replying guys - I was just a little confused as why the defaults were set the way they were. I'll see how things go with both set at 3 for now, and adjust in future if needed. Have a good turkey day.