expansion tank location

I have A cast iron boiler with pump on return side of system and bladder type
    tank before that, with spiro vent. is this ok? i Know it suggested that tanks be close to suction side of pump, but should there be room for expansion on supply side?

It is a closed system, so you just need to account for the expansion. You place the expansion tank on the suction side of the pump because that is where the lowest pressure is expected in the system. At the lowest pressure, the most air will come out of solution. That is why the air seperator or vent is placed there.

thank you. I guess most of the piping diagrams I have seen show pump and tank on supply side of boiler. I know many prefer this set up, any thoughts on that?

Spiro., tank, feed, pump all on supply works best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Spiro., tank, feed, pump all on supply works best.

I don't work on very many, but why is it better on the supply side?
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

It is better on the supply side so you get the highest temperature along with the lowest pressure for air removal.