Thread: SC Code

SC Code

Can anyone tell me if in 2005 the SC Building Codes required HVAC returns in all rooms with doors other than kitchens/baths? Also is a VS air handler that runs 24\7 advantageous in South? If so, I am considering changing over my Bryant Legacy handler.

Quote Originally Posted by tompass View Post
    Can anyone tell me if in 2005 the SC Building Codes required HVAC returns in all rooms with doors other than kitchens/baths? Also is a VS air handler that runs 24\7 advantageous in South? If so, I am considering changing over my Bryant Legacy handler.
    I am not in sc but im in nc and i think codes are similar returns are not required in every room and as far as ahu continuasly running is both units running outdoor and ahu? or just air handler?

Quote Originally Posted by tompass View Post
    Also is a VS air handler that runs 24\7 advantageous in South? If so, I am considering changing over my Bryant Legacy handler.
    I'm assuming you're talking about putting the fan switch in the 'on' position so the fan runs continuously, even when there's no call for heating or cooling? If so, then yes, a VS unit is advantageous. There is some debate regarding humidity in the summer, that being that when the outdoor unit cycles off, the indoor coil is still dripping with condensation water, humidity taken out of the room air. By running the fan continuously, some of that water evaporates back into the atmosphere. Some newer systems allow a continuos fan to cycle off for a few minutes after the outdoor unit cycles off to allow the condensate to drip off the coil. Anyway, most VS units operate the fan at a greatly reduced setting during the heating/cooling dwell cycles so the electrical savings over a standard motor is considerable. A good reason to run the motor continuously is to clean the air through an electronic air cleaner and/or UV lights, to operate a humidifier to just to slowly move the air for comfort. If you step up to the Bryant Evolution air handler with a new User Interface, you'll be able to control the continuous fan speed through three different speed settings, as well as many other enhancements.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Thanks. I have a VS in my NJ home and really like it. May try and swap out air handler in SC home to get the VS fan. Regarding code, I had checked several years ago in this forum and thought by now returns would be required in SC as they are in some other states such as Florida.

No, returns are not required in every room. As for running the blower, I do not recommend running it 24/7 in the summer months due to humidity as previous mentioned. I have seen more than once where the HO ran the fan all the time during the summer and ended up having a lot of mold and comfort problems.
    Poor planning on your part doesn’t necessarily constitute an emergency on my part.

I have heard that recommendation from several pros. A bit confusing because some also say that it helps.