Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vents in ceiling or floor better?

Curious about which you like better. Due to my 1920's built house design, number of windows and doors and the straightline placement of them, I need mine in the ceiling due to a lack of wall space for furniture placement. What are the advantages/disadvantages to each? I'm pretty much decided on the ceiling. Also, do you ALWAYS want vents over/under a window or french doors? I will have two sets of french doors(yet to be added,remodeling) in my living room and 1 window(already there). They have planned 2 vents in this room. Should 1 go over/under the window, and the other go over/under the french door that will be on the end of the house? Hope this is not confusing. Thanks!

Will somebody answer this please? lol thanks

Where are you located? What type of climate?

Is this for heating, cooling or both.
    Supply, return, or both.
    What type of registers. Those round ceiling supply regs aren't good for heating, but are common.

What has your contractor recommended. And have you asked him which is better for your application.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I prefer the ceiling.
    As for pros and cons of either: For heating, vents in the floor would be better. For cooling, ceiling would be better.
    This isnt the main concern however. The placement of your return is. IF the registers are in the ceiling you will want your return low. If theyre in the floor youll want your return in the ceiling.
    One thing to consider if you put them in the floor is children. They love cramming stuff into the registers and you also have to arrange your furniture around them.
    If possible, yes, you do want the registers throwing towards the windows since this is your biggest infiltration and loss area. It also helps keep the windows from sweating.

Ceiling supply and returns make it easier to furnish a room. No worries about blocking supply or return registers.

If your local climate is a "heating" climate (long cold weather seasons), locating supply registers toward the outside wall is not a bad strategy. If your climate is a "cooling" climate (long warm weather seasons), you can locate supply registers along an inside wall and throw the air toward exterior walls/doors/windows.

As beenthere said, round ceiling diffusers (which my new house has) are great for cooling, not so hot for heating. If you are in a heating climate and it's not feasible to locate the supply registers toward the outside walls/windows/doors, you can locate them along an inside wall and throw the air toward the exterior walls/windows/doors, just as you would in a cooling climate.

Manual T and others state that although return air location is not super critical due to the small amount of influence a return air register has on the surrounding air, it does acknowledge that returns for a cooling climate are better located high, heating climate returns located low or in the floor. The main thing is that a supply register should NEVER throw its air toward a return register.

vents in ceiling better for summer!

vents in floor better for winter!

I'm in North Alabama, Very hot, humid summers, very dry also the last 2 summers. Winters are not usually all that bad, even though I'm pretty cold natured. The return will probably be in the ceiling in the inside corner of the living room as this is pretty much the central of the house. House do you put the return down low if the supplies are in the ceiling? just curious. Thanks for the replies, they have helped me. I talked to the guy that came and gave me my estimate and he said that the installers would design everything and if anything is not satisfactory anytime after, that they'll do whatever I want to fix it at no cost, he also said that the manual J in alabama usually undersizes the unit but if I want it they'll do it, but at my expense if I'm not satisfied later on with it. All of this is in writing, they seem to have very good customer satisfaction oriented guarantees, all in writing. Thanks again!! Any more comments welcome

Cool

Pretty basic.....Heat rises, cool air falls. So, with ceiling supplies the warm air tends to return to the ceiling. Great for A/C.....cool air falls.

I've got ceiling registers and the ceiling is 10 degrees warmer than the floor in the heating mode with Heat Pump. My hot water baseboard is better heat since it's radiators are along the base board and heat rises. But, I installed a Heat Pump because my hot water base board is via an oil fired boiler and we all know where the price of oil is headed.

The ultimate solution is both, floor and ceiling registers. JMHO! Probably pretty costly though......

Hmm Hot air rises

Hot air rises. If you're in a cold climate you'll be heating lots. You want to heat cooler air, which is lower in the room. You want your return far from the registers. No sense in having a hot exterior of the room (or 1 side of room) and the rest of the room cool. You'll want to keep your registers away from your t-stat (or move it). On your second floor (if you have a 2 storey), you'll want registers higher up for a different reason - in the summer you'll be cooling the hot air, but if you put them at the bottom of the room you'll be cooling the cooler air.

Keep in mind this question has a hundred different answers, dependent on climate. Since this is your house, think about where you live and what system will be running most often. More important, make sure you put in enough air returns in enough places (1 per floor minimum etc.) You won't get heat into a basement (or cool air to the 2nd floor) if you don't have returns there.

We use our ceiling fans in both cool and hot weather. Really does the job.

Hmm In the "Box" Thinking

“Manual T and others state that although return air location is not super critical due to the small amount of influence a return air register has on the surrounding air, it does acknowledge that returns for a cooling climate are better located high, heating climate returns located low or in the floor”

WOW! Has Manual T finally come over to the "X" side and agrees with High and Low Returns. What is next “An Open Window” in every home and balancing a system on the RETURN side using louvered returns.

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus and you can see him tomorrow!
    The quality of my performance, sometimes depends on the quality of my audience.
    Imitation (Plagiarism) is the best compliment one can get -- "Open A Window"

To improve Indoor Air Quality: Control Indoor Air QUANTITY = "I.A.Q.Q."

I actually meant to ask about ceiling fans, as I will have two in my very long living room. I would think that a ceiling fan would make this heat rises thing 100% a mute point, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast