Help and advice ? (please)

Post Help and advice ? (please)

i bought my house 5 years ago and everything passed inspection heating and A/C related and it don't seem to have any problems.

My problem is this ..... A Vanee Trade 150

It's been unplugged ever since i had the house and i was told on 4 separate occasions (by so called HVAC professionals) that it's an air exchanger and they DONOT work so most people unplug them,i had no reason to question them if 4 people said the same thing.

Last Friday i was having the furnace serviced when the guy asked me why it was unplugged ,so i told him the story and he laughed and said that was BS,but he does not service them.

So i tried to find someone who does, it seems not many people do..... i found none after about an hour on the phone.

So i called the manufacturer and all they could tell was it is not a current model so they cannot provide me with documentation only a breaker that is part of a safety recall (which i plugged in)

i've cleaned all the filters as per the instruction on them.

My question is this ..... How do i know if its working correctly ?
    When powerd on the fan spins constantly (3 days now) but i've never seen the flap (marked below) move postion. Should the fan operater 24/7 ?

And is it a common thing that techs don't service these things?

Thanks in advance

That is a good air exchanger. Cleaning the filters is all that should need to be done. Do you have a controller on the wall, most likely by the thermostat? This would control the unit, or the original instatallers did somthing different. There are many ways to hook these up. This is an expensive add on and I have no idea why the companies you contacted said they didn't work on them. It is part of HVAC. Keep looking and you should find someone that will work on it. Post where you live and maby someone on here would be close or know a tech in your area.
    Its a good Life!

That flap [damper] is for defrost only, it would close off the outside air intake. This is a heat recovery ventilator. They do work, I am not sure why the contractor would tell you they don't. The heat transfer is passive, just a cross flow heat exchanger, so as long as the fan is running the unit should be working. This is a relative costly addition to an hvac system to be abandoned.

From the mfg's site, the unit has two settings. Low, which would run constantly or high with a humidity sensor. Is it ducted to your furnace returns or is it seperately ducted to the house?

Quote Originally Posted by hvacconsultant View Post
    That flap [damper] is for defrost only, it would close off the outside air intake.

I see ,so i would only expect to see this move if temperature or frost became an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacconsultant View Post
    From the mfg's site, the unit has two settings. Low, which would run constantly or high with a humidity sensor. Is it ducted to your furnace returns or is it seperately ducted to the house?
    i see two insulated ducts coming in(i'm presuming these are intakes for outside air) as for the other two - one goes to the furnace intake just before the furncae filter housing and the other goes out of site.

There are no external controls and the only wire going in is the power cord

Thanks for the replies its good to know there are techs out there that know what they are talking about

The OA damper should close if the air is a few degrees below freezing. The cross flow heat exchanger could get a build up of frost on it from the humid exhaust air meeting with the cold outside air.

Ok, the two insulated ducts are the outside air intake and the exhaust air relief. The duct connected to the furnace return is the outside air supply and the duct going elsewhere is the exhaust air supply, it may or may not also be connected to the return side of the furnace ductwork.

Since it is connected to the furnace, I would recommend the HRV to be interlocked with the furnace operation, but it isn't necessary if only the fresh air supply is connected to the furnace. If the exhaust air supply is connected to the furnace return too, it should be interlocked with the furnace operation. Since you see no control wiring back to the furnace I would assume that this isn't an option. As long as that exhaust duct is not connected to the furnace it should be working fine as you've described it.

Good to know thanks for your help

Sorry to say you ran into a problem that is unfortunate but common. It seems alot of times that if a tech isn't familiar with or doesn't understand a components functions or benefits that component gets called unnecessary or outdated. The better techs will take the time to learn about new things and see it as a challenge to master them. Most of us want to be the best tech we can.

These types of heat recovery units are quite common and can save considerable energy. I am not familiar with this brand but I would go to their website and print out any literature you can find for this model (http://www.vanee.ca/wiring-diagrams.php) I would also call them back and see if they have any owner manual for it, if not, as you implied, I would ask them the closest current model and print out the manual for it. Ask them the difference between the two. The Tech people should be able to help, customer service may not. Ask them for the names of the nearest factory authorized service companies also. Also tech support can sometimes tell you if there was a design flaw with this unit. I would be much suprised if no one there knows anything about an older unit. A good serviceman can look at the wiring diagram and fiqure it out but it will take longer.