Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused DC Motor Question

Went to a call in the middle of the night yesterday, i had a DC variable speed motor not running, i dont have much experience with these types of systems, 2 years in the trade and my company mostly installs the most basic units ex concords, thats besides the point, I have heard the DC motors rarely go, is this true? how do i determine whether its the control board or how do i test the motor (it is at my shop rite now) , to get them going because i didnt have the motor or board i put in a regular 3/4 hp motor and hooked it up to 120V to run all the time, is this bad practice, i just wanted to leave it like that until monday! thanks for your help

ps it is an armstrong furnace about 8 years old

You best get to a supply house that has a zebra analyzer or other type and knows how to use it. Then if its good, go get the board and 16 pin line harness and have them tested. You need more than just guess work to mess with variable systems. Yes its actually your head off your shoulders if the house burns down with the motor you put in and the method you used to get them by. You would be investigated by your states board of licensing and criminal intent charges can result if a death happens. Otherwise don't worry tonight!

whats a zebra analyzer and how does it work?

usually it is the module on the end of the motor, not sure on the armstrong but the one on the tranes are removable from the motor
    You can't fix stupid

http://www.thedealertoolbox.com/service.php

Down load the ECM Service Guide. It has some good info
    "We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence." Yukon Cornelius

Some people are like Slinkies---not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

As was stated it is usually the module but be aware that every manufacturer programs their module differently. Eve though they are almost al GE motors you can't swap modules from one brand to another just because they are the same motor. Learned this the hard way. May seem to work but in some cases but will not be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JBM1000 View Post
    Yes its actually your head off your shoulders if the house burns down with the motor you put in and the method you used to get them by. You would be investigated by your states board of licensing and criminal intent charges can result if a death happens. Otherwise don't worry tonight!
    Some manufacturers tell you to do what he did.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thumbs up

kanodogg,

You are a new member. I suggest that you read the rules before posting again.
    Last edited by Admin; 11-20-2007 at 08:37 PM.

[QUOTE=kanodogg;1678560 The motor with the module cost $xxxx and the module alone cost only $xxxx. [/QUOTE]

Remove the prices from your post.
    No pricing allowed.
    Contractor locator map

"Same here gary g,

Before posting again, read the rules."

Sorry, I will re-post the idea without the dollars.

Considering that my entire Goodman air handler with PSC motor was almost as much as "kanodogg" paid at the supply house for the ECM and module, before his mark-up to the customer, no wonder why I went with the fixed speed motor. Cheap to replace. Keep it simple.
    Last edited by Admin; 11-20-2007 at 08:39 PM.

So did you get the new ECM installed. Was it the ECM or was there another problem.
    Contractor locator map

virtually all brands have ECM motors in their line-up. Anyone who is servicing equipment should have at least a motor tester. Otherwise guessing is their next option. I'll try to find a link...

here... the techmate pro can be bought online or maybe ordered from your supplier.

http://www.thedealertoolbox.com/files/tecmateXL.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
    virtually all brands have ECM motors in their line-up. Anyone who is servicing equipment should have at least a motor tester. Otherwise guessing is their next option. I'll try to find a link...

here... the techmate pro can be bought online or maybe ordered from your supplier.

http://www.thedealertoolbox.com/files/tecmateXL.pdf
    Best advise you can get

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast