Variable Speed Blower Motor Experience

I've got GOODMAN 4 Tons, 14 SEER, 15 KW strip R410A refrigerant heatpump with variable speed motor blower air handler I think SZ014 or something like that. The thing comes up like a wild cat slowly increasing its speed. I think it's pretty cool. Not sure about savings yet, but seems to be attractive that it does not explode with sound right away as the regular heatpump with fixed speed motors does. Any experiences with VARIABLE SPEED MOTORS? Please share.

Yeah. Unless you have absolute trust in the tech, get a second opinion when someone tells you the motor is bad. They're expensive to replace, and nine times out of ten, the controller or module that allows it to ramp up and down is at fault.

more like 98% but thats beside the point. The ramping feature is nice, but the potential energy savings along with the ability to deliver a constant CFM under changing conditions makes it all the better.

Smile

To: BergerMech Rob, I was not complaining or saying that the motor is not working or at fault, I am saying it is nice so far and I like it and I asked to share experiences and opinions about variable speed blowers (motors, air handlers etc.).

ok, I'll bite at it with my trane xl19i vs experience.

mine is like a platypus taking off from the bottom of the stream, slowly but steadily and stealthily.

next animal anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    To: BergerMech Rob, I was not complaining or saying that the motor is not working or at fault, I am saying it is nice so far and I like it and I asked to share experiences and opinions about variable speed blowers (motors, air handlers etc.).
    Well then, here's my two cents... variable speed is infinitely better than constant volume.

Cool Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
    ok, I'll bite at it with my trane xl19i vs experience.

mine is like a platypus taking off from the bottom of the stream, slowly but steadily and stealthily.

next animal anomaly.
    Nice...very nice description.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I've got GOODMAN 4 Tons, 14 SEER, 15 KW strip R410A refrigerant heatpump with variable speed motor blower air handler I think SZ014 or something like that. The thing comes up like a wild cat slowly increasing its speed. I think it's pretty cool. Not sure about savings yet, but seems to be attractive that it does not explode with sound right away as the regular heatpump with fixed speed motors does. Any experiences with VARIABLE SPEED MOTORS? Please share.
    Make sure the dip switch settings are set properly in the air handler for your system size, etc. There are also some "trim" adjustments that you can make with the dip switches.

I realize that I am in the minority, but I chose the 3 speed motor for my new Goodman GSH14 heat pump. I actually like a little noise coming from the vents to drown out the street noise. The v-s motor runs at 30% when in "fan only". Motor replacement cost for PSC motor is cheap compared to a DC motor. Keep it simple.