kitchen exhaust install

On a kitchen exhaust duct, can screws be used or will they be a place for grease to collect? If no screws are to be used then what`s the right way to install?

Thanks!

Residential HVAC Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, please read Site Rules, Register

it's written right at the top. sorry no DIY

This one should get locked down for sure. Asking about grease duct in a residential section! Cant imagine what his plans are for the fire rated shaft / enclosure on this one.

matt

First thing is that it has to be done to the code of your city, county, etc... They are usually just a tad bit different, depending on your application. If it is in a commercial application, you need to get the fire dept. involved, it usually involves welding, fire suppression systems, tied in to the HVAC system, make up air, etc... It is very involved. If it is one for your home, read the manufacturers installation instructions since they are all a little different. Call an appliance place to install. You aren't going to get much more than that around here since we cannot see the job. Check local applicable codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstrav View Post
    This one should get locked down for sure. Asking about grease duct in a residential section! Cant imagine what his plans are for the fire rated shaft / enclosure on this one.

matt
    WOW!
    What a tough crowd. You should be a stand up comedian, wiseguy!
    I guess my question was a little vague , but did not warrant the smart ... comment.
    This is not a DIY, this is not a grease duct and yes , you should see my plans for the fire rated shaft. This all being said Thank you for the helpful hints (bmathews) and for the insitefull wisdom (MsTrav )
    I was doing this install for my company and I thought I read somewhere before that it was not to code to use screws in the exhaust fans (kitchen hoods and dryer vents) for residental.
    Comfort Queen could you please explain to me where I should (or how I should ) post any similar install questions as to avoid any feather ruffling in the future.

2. Do-It-Yourselfers - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own HVAC equipment, that is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted.

So I went back to the rules and read this section. I don`t see where I broke any rules! I asked a simple question regarding an install on a job I am working on and was just checking to see if I or the guy I am working with is right, but I guess I will just wait for the inspector!

Thank you,
    SubyDude
    Last edited by SubyDude; 11-18-2007 at 05:30 PM.

Check Section 5 of the IMC and any local amendments, there is a section for Residential Kitchen Exhaust. I don't have it in front of me, but I am pretty sure it says something along the lines of all ductwork shall be smooth walled with a backdraft damper. So I wouldn't use sheet metal screws and follow all manufacturer's instructions.

Well, I hate to say it, but if you "were" a "sheetmeal" instaler you would now weather or not to use screws in a dryer vent, how many feet of pipe and how many elbows are allowed by code as to not effect dryer run time.

As for the grease duct (or is this a residential kitchen range top, then it is totally differant then commercial and disregard the following statement!) you definately have no clue what you are doing, and life safety is a critical part no matter what City, County or State you are in. I have installed grease duct and hoods in 4 states and would never come to a forum for DIY info on how to do it. If you are an hvac contractor, then hire one of your competitors to install it for you and watch what they do and maybe learn something, but it is definately a specialty part of the trade. Material type and thickness, shaft enclosure type and rating, system shut down, gas valve shut down, electrical, ansul, exhaust in fire, etc.. In addition, other components are required to do this and not make you on the 5:00 o'clock news!!

enjoy,

matt

Dear MsTrav,
    I am not a licensed contractor.... I work for one. I am here to learn more and better myself from the information in this community on this forum. I did not come here for grumpy farts with a desire to pick fights without fully understanding the question and or job at hand. This is for a residential new construction install not a commercial grease duct.
    You must not write too many job tags that customers will ever see or you are in just sooooo much of a hurry to blast me, rather than help me, that you can`t even spellcheck your replies.

Anyway, I think i got the info I need from those of you with positive and helpful responses..... Thank you.

To MsTrav, please give some benefit of the doubt and ask the right questions to get all of your facts before you jump on the "let`s block this guy" band wagon!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacconsultant View Post
    Check Section 5 of the IMC and any local amendments, there is a section for Residential Kitchen Exhaust. I don't have it in front of me, but I am pretty sure it says something along the lines of all ductwork shall be smooth walled with a backdraft damper. So I wouldn't use sheet metal screws and follow all manufacturer's instructions.
    You see!

THIS is all I was asking for!

Thank you,
    SubyDude