Suction Valve Size

My Goodman heat pump (GSH130301AA) has within its specifications the use of a 3/4'' O.D. Suction Valve. The suction valve size that I have is 7/8'' O.D. Does this above specification size of the suction line pose any problems related to performance? ...noise? ...efficiency?

TLY

How do you know if it is 7/8 OD...Why were you even looking? Are you having a problem related to the valve? It's not really a functional part of the system, only for service.

If you measured the valve size, where the pipe is flared out, it is still probably 3/4, even if you measured 7/8. Sizing for valves is by the size of the pipe which will fit into the flared out end.

Even if you do have a 7/8 valve, it wouldn't make any difference at all.
    Leadership...the ability to move forward even when you've burned your foot.

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about the suction line size. I measured it in the attic where the pipe is straight. Let me rephrase my question:

Does a larger than manufacturer specified suction line pose any problems for a split system heat pump?

TLY

It should not harm anything.I have installed units on retrofits that the liquid/suction lines were 1 size larger for years now and had not had any problems yet,just use alittle more refrigerant.

Quote Originally Posted by TLY View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about the suction line size. I measured it in the attic where the pipe is straight. Let me rephrase my question:

Does a larger than manufacturer specified suction line pose any problems for a split system heat pump?

TLY
    TLY, In extreme cases, an oversized suction line can cause deficiencies in performance, and can damage the equipment. Poor oil return to the compressor being one of them.

From what you've stated in your post, I don't think you have anything to worry about.