Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemccormick View Post
    If you read all my posts on the subject, you would have noticed I place in caps the word SOME of you, not ALL of you are rip off artists. Of course you want to jump right on the person who speaks truth. I am not a dumb homeowner. I am a Professional Machinist but charge reasonable prices for my work. I did an abundance of research myself and I do know the workings of a furnace and A/C system. Am I an expert? Nope, and I dont claim to be. But, when I pay 33% of the top bid on the job and the next highest bid is more than twice what I paid. What do you think I am thinking? Too many homeowners think its magic what we in our trades do, but as you all know, its not. I am sick and tired of all the things I see go on to people and I decided its time to speak. 100 grand a yr isnt enough ? You want to make 200K?

How would you know what any company is making in profits?
    You obviously have no idea what it costs to run an HVAC business.
    I know someone here has a list that they can share.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

oh please

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    well
    i work for a very highly respected company. I also make a good living with this company. If what you have said were true then that would mean i should take a cut in pay drop my insurance and vacation time and my company should give me a bicycle to do service calls in. WTF I have i cant count the years of schooling and hours of training and hours of seminars i have atended over the years just to have some cheap ass come in here tell me or any employer they should be ashamed to have to charge what they chage so they can aford to pay highly quaified techs that enjoy what they do because you think it is to ****ing high a price. IYO
    you my sir are the one who should be ashamed.
    I am dying to state prices....then who should be ashamed...

lol

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    How do you earn your living? I'm going to guess that you manage nothing or ever look at a set of books.
    It amazes me how the truth when spoken really hurts...
    No, your wrong again, I am in a trade...I'm a Machinist.
    Lets see, need to add a small amount of freon to a system, total charged is the same as filling your truck up 4-5 times... fair? sure if I am in your shoes...

conclusion

In ending this...I knew if I posted in here that this would cause what it did...
    I guess if I were charging the kind of money you gentlemen do, I would try and make every defense possible in public also. I also knew it would be me against all of you. I woon'y be dropping in any longer , this will be my last post. I never did come in here except when I first saw the forum this past yr.
    I just thought it disgusting to find out what I have in real life and its good that it came out.
    Good luck guys..keep up the great work! I never said you dont do quality, I am sure you do! It just isnt worth paying a Doctors wages to.
    Goodbye guys!

The sour taste of bad quality isn't soon forgotten after the sweet smell of a cheap price fades.

I see you won't man up and post pictures of your Goodman install.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by georgemccormick View Post
    It amazes me how the truth when spoken really hurts...
    No, your wrong again, I am in a trade...I'm a Machinist.
    Lets see, need to add a small amount of freon to a system, total charged is the same as filling your truck up 4-5 times... fair? sure if I am in your shoes...
    Ooh, wow, a machinist. That really qualifies you to know the proper pricing for a job.

Me put metal on press. Me mash button. Me machinist.

Get real.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Hey George, still waiting to see pictures of your great install!

Twilli is sad he's leaving....Twilli took tool and dye in high school. Went to Macomber vocational technical HS. Once I found out it would be hard to make a living. I knew it would either be used car sales or HVAC, since HVAC the profit margin was higher in HVAC, I choose that.

Never looked back. Bill Gates look out Twilli is closing in on ya....poor machinist. Maybe we can take up a collection...where is HeyBob?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

hey guys take it easy on the guy,
    i mean you would have a sour outlook too if every time you took your squeegee up to do someones windows they was complaining about the cost of gas at the station you work for

naaa just bustin the guys stones, he is a machinist he already stated that but he doesnt run the books obviously, and he probably only has a lunch bucket invested in his career and i am sure he wants a nice paycheck too, but he doesnt understand what it takes to get it

i am sure the parts he makes dont go for 10% over the cost of the raw material and i am sure he can justify all day long why the "custom" work he does is worth money

he just feels the need to speak outside of his level of knowledge (which we have all done at one time or another) on this subject.
    rather then learning why things have a cost he assumes its expensive so its a rip off
    now i dont know about lots of the owners here but as for me, i visit nicer houses then i live in, i walk past nicer cars then i drive, and i deal with having less then my customers who say its too much money. so to them who think charge too much there are cheaper companies, many of them do great work, many of them know how to fix a system and take pride in what they do. but most of them wont make it the 10 year that i have and if they do they wont likely make it to the 15 or 20 yr point with out learning what to charge to stay in business

not to mention if you dont charge enough you will not be able to afford to buy the tools and equipment to do the job then get get the training to go with it

well i can go on for hours and most of you already know all of this, but it always amuses me when a person who is not and will not be a customer challenges our prices we feel the need to jump up and tell everyone why we are worth what we are worth

i say let him fix it himself, let him buy parts off the net and let him complain, he is not now and will not be a customer anyway because customers spend money with you and thats who we should be worried about making happy

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Who will summon HeyBob? He's up to bat.
    Here I am............my service technicians wanted the weekend off to go deer hunting. Been out running no heat calls since 6:30 am off and on all day. Yep, I sure made some big cash and huge profits today..............

Profit is NOT a dirty word.

It is very evident that this guy is not a machinists in business for himself or he would have an idea of what it costs to stay in business.

6-10 years of schooling to be a doctor. Not to badmouth the docs, but I have more than that.

Doctors spend more than me on overhead? Maybe they do, but I can guarantee you that I pay, monthly, on my overhead, taxes, insurance, schooling, benefits, etc than you make in a year.

Doctors don't rip you off? I went last month to a dentist. 15K for what I want done all the way to 6K, same procedure in the same town...Overseas, the exact same procedure, 2K...

Adding refrigerant, I charge more than what you said, but my guys do more than add refrigerant. To do it properly takes time.

I wonder what you charge for your machinist work, or should I say your boss?

And, what happened to those pix?

i should have known better
    my line below says it all

pointing down

Quote Originally Posted by dhvac View Post
    hey guys take it easy on the guy,
    i mean you would have a sour outlook too if every time you took your squeegee up to do someones windows they was complaining about the cost of gas at the station you work for

naaa just bustin the guys stones, he is a machinist he already stated that but he doesnt run the books obviously, and he probably only has a lunch bucket invested in his career and i am sure he wants a nice paycheck too, but he doesnt understand what it takes to get it

i am sure the parts he makes dont go for 10% over the cost of the raw material and i am sure he can justify all day long why the "custom" work he does is worth money

he just feels the need to speak outside of his level of knowledge (which we have all done at one time or another) on this subject.
    rather then learning why things have a cost he assumes its expensive so its a rip off
    now i dont know about lots of the owners here but as for me, i visit nicer houses then i live in, i walk past nicer cars then i drive, and i deal with having less then my customers who say its too much money. so to them who think charge too much there are cheaper companies, many of them do great work, many of them know how to fix a system and take pride in what they do. but most of them wont make it the 10 year that i have and if they do they wont likely make it to the 15 or 20 yr point with out learning what to charge to stay in business

not to mention if you dont charge enough you will not be able to afford to buy the tools and equipment to do the job then get get the training to go with it

well i can go on for hours and most of you already know all of this, but it always amuses me when a person who is not and will not be a customer challenges our prices we feel the need to jump up and tell everyone why we are worth what we are worth

i say let him fix it himself, let him buy parts off the net and let him complain, he is not now and will not be a customer anyway because customers spend money with you and thats who we should be worried about making happy

Here Here. After reading your post, makes me wonder why I wasted my time. Very good post.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast