Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 42
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Grottoes VA
    Posts
    5,856
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemccormick View Post
    Actually, you guys who are sooo miserable over your pricing are a joke.
    I got quotes on replacing my system with a 92K Btu 96% variable speed furnace and a 3 ton A/C and matched coil and the quotes I got from 3 guys came in almost FOUR times the price that I ended up buying the same system myself from a wholesaler out of NewYork who does sell directly to the public.
    Then I got a quote from a contractor who was reasonable and he does installs for Sears and had the whole thing done for 33% of the quotes I got from you crying "professionals". You guys love to make a bundle on the system as well as the install. The install was done so clean and passed inspection quickly and was done in 6 hours with 2 guys. I am sure you guys will now come out with every answer on this one but no matter what you say, you guys want 3-4 times what its worth and I got it done by a licensed guy who doesnt screw people and got it done to code and inspected to code.
    Bye
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

  2. #15

    concise

    Quote Originally Posted by sarpanch2001 View Post
    don,t come back for advise call same guy when you got problem i hope he can fix for you . inspection they don,t test syestem over size or not any more ?
    I see you have such a clear and concise response to my post.
    The warranty is 10 years. The contractor is licensed just like all the guys here. I have never asked for your advice in here or anyone elses as far as replacing my system. When I got prices from area professionals and got quotes ranging from twice what I spent to 4 times what I spent, I would say some of you guys are legal rip off artists who take advantage of some people who know nothing about the true cost of the equipment and job. I can see you guys making an honest buck...even to mark things up 100% and make twice what I paid but to try and get 3-4 times that? Please, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

  3. #16

    I agree

    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    No we aren't going to cry, we are just going to keep screwing the general public. Twilli is glad there aren't more highly intelligent people like you. Since your such a genius maybe you could market your sperm and make a "small" profit then you wouldn't be so tight for money.

    Twilli knows you work for chump change, but the majority of us want to continue to make our windfall profits.

    Hopefully you won't have to hang around here anymore tipping off the unsuspecting consumer....please.....pretty please.....Don't force Twilli out of business
    You do screw as many people who don't know any better. Also, I never said you need to work for chump change, 100% mark up isnt enough for you? Thats TWICE what you paid for the system, not enough? My parents just bought a new Toyota Corolla for not a lot more than the highest quote on my system. A shame forum rules dont allow me to state prices or you people would look pretty bad. The elderly is another example. My parents are in their 80s and wanted their electrical
    panel replaced because it used fuses instead of breakers. I told them to get 3 quotes. 2 quotes were 5 times the one quote of the guy who did the job 5 years ago. The house hasnt burnt down yet. You can say whatever you like but the truth is, SOME of you guys are true rip off artists.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,910
    Twilli electrician too.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Miami, Fl.
    Posts
    3,559
    It amazes me that since, just maybe, a quote or two that someone got was/seemed too high that ALL HVAC contractors are rip offs.

    THIS IS WHY YOU ARE TOLD by the professionals to get at least 3 quotes, then, if, you have any brains, you make the informed decision on who to do it or what to get.
    I can guarantee you that if you got a quote that was that low that they scrimped or did something to get that low.
    Betcha that they did not do a TSEP before and after? Are you sure your system is putting out what it is supposed to? Or are you just happy that it blows hot and cold?

    Every company that gives a quote has their own way of marking something up. This is why no one can say your price is good or not.

    Besides that, classical says it best.

    I can give examples of pricing that is so different in my area and not just HVAC. You bought any type of insurance lately? Been to the dentist or doctor or hospital?
    Called a plumber? The list goes on and on.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Haymarket VA
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemccormick View Post
    I see you have such a clear and concise response to my post.
    The warranty is 10 years. The contractor is licensed just like all the guys here. I have never asked for your advice in here or anyone elses as far as replacing my system. When I got prices from area professionals and got quotes ranging from twice what I spent to 4 times what I spent, I would say some of you guys are legal rip off artists who take advantage of some people who know nothing about the true cost of the equipment and job. I can see you guys making an honest buck...even to mark things up 100% and make twice what I paid but to try and get 3-4 times that? Please, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
    what type work you do ?you don,t make profit?
    how much you pay for asprin in hospital ?
    or doctor visit
    it takes about same time to become good tech then MD
    10 year warranty realy
    read there disclaimer
    ask your contractor is he responsible for your unit ?
    you should be ashamed of yourselves what you did
    Last edited by sarpanch2001; 11-18-2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    12,178
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemccormick View Post
    You do screw as many people who don't know any better. Also, I never said you need to work for chump change, 100% mark up isnt enough for you? Thats TWICE what you paid for the system, not enough? My parents just bought a new Toyota Corolla for not a lot more than the highest quote on my system. A shame forum rules dont allow me to state prices or you people would look pretty bad. The elderly is another example. My parents are in their 80s and wanted their electrical
    panel replaced because it used fuses instead of breakers. I told them to get 3 quotes. 2 quotes were 5 times the one quote of the guy who did the job 5 years ago. The house hasnt burnt down yet. You can say whatever you like but the truth is, SOME of you guys are true rip off artists.
    How do you earn your living? I'm going to guess that you manage nothing or ever look at a set of books.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,040
    Hey George, post some pictures of that fantastic installation so we can see how good the low bidder did!

  9. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Hey George, post some pictures of that fantastic installation so we can see how good the low bidder did!
    I second that. You speak good things about you're installation, so I'm curious to see what it looks like. What brand is it?

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,910
    Who will summon HeyBob? He's up to bat.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemccormick View Post
    I see you have such a clear and concise response to my post.
    The warranty is 10 years. The contractor is licensed just like all the guys here. I have never asked for your advice in here or anyone elses as far as replacing my system. When I got prices from area professionals and got quotes ranging from twice what I spent to 4 times what I spent, I would say some of you guys are legal rip off artists who take advantage of some people who know nothing about the true cost of the equipment and job. I can see you guys making an honest buck...even to mark things up 100% and make twice what I paid but to try and get 3-4 times that? Please, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
    well
    i work for a very highly respected company. I also make a good living with this company. If what you have said were true then that would mean i should take a cut in pay drop my insurance and vacation time and my company should give me a bicycle to do service calls in. WTF I have i cant count the years of schooling and hours of training and hours of seminars i have atended over the years just to have some cheap ass come in here tell me or any employer they should be ashamed to have to charge what they chage so they can aford to pay highly quaified techs that enjoy what they do because you think it is to ****ing high a price. IYO
    you my sir are the one who should be ashamed.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Zelienople, Pa
    Posts
    2,965
    I'd like to see pictures of this.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

  13. #26

    first

    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    It amazes me that since, just maybe, a quote or two that someone got was/seemed too high that ALL HVAC contractors are rip offs.

    THIS IS WHY YOU ARE TOLD by the professionals to get at least 3 quotes, then, if, you have any brains, you make the informed decision on who to do it or what to get.
    I can guarantee you that if you got a quote that was that low that they scrimped or did something to get that low.
    Betcha that they did not do a TSEP before and after? Are you sure your system is putting out what it is supposed to? Or are you just happy that it blows hot and cold?

    Every company that gives a quote has their own way of marking something up. This is why no one can say your price is good or not.

    Besides that, classical says it best.

    I can give examples of pricing that is so different in my area and not just HVAC. You bought any type of insurance lately? Been to the dentist or doctor or hospital?
    Called a plumber? The list goes on and on.
    If you read all my posts on the subject, you would have noticed I place in caps the word SOME of you, not ALL of you are rip off artists. Of course you want to jump right on the person who speaks truth. I am not a dumb homeowner. I am a Professional Machinist but charge reasonable prices for my work. I did an abundance of research myself and I do know the workings of a furnace and A/C system. Am I an expert? Nope, and I dont claim to be. But, when I pay 33% of the top bid on the job and the next highest bid is more than twice what I paid. What do you think I am thinking? Too many homeowners think its magic what we in our trades do, but as you all know, its not. I am sick and tired of all the things I see go on to people and I decided its time to speak. 100 grand a yr isnt enough ? You want to make 200K? 300K? From the quotes Ive seen, the 200k a yr isnt far off ..Doctors and Dentists go to college and spend big bucks for 6-10 yrs of expensive schooling to make their money and pay HUGE $$ on malpractice insurance every yr so there is no comparison to these trades. The plumber and electrician is right along the same lines as an HVAC guy. Didnt you read my post about the electricians when my 80 yr old parents got 3 quotes?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event