Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quotes too high?

Greetings folks, first time poster and like many - I've come here for some advice.

We have been thinking of and getting quotes now for 2 years. We can't come to a decision and the money obviously is a factor.

I've received 4 quotes so far and although they sounded high, I have heard variations that are too alarming to ignore or variant to make a solid decision.

I've talked with others who have had similar services done and they paid much less for for more, yet all of those companies are just out of my service range so I can't use them.

Here's some of the information. The house is a 3 story townhouse and is 1320 sq ft. No one has done a heat loss calculation and when I inquire as to why they say that we are all r9 insulation in these areas. All the houses were built in the earlier , mid or late 70's for miles around here.
    However, we have older windows, blown in insulation and shared brick walls with neighbors. Can't imagine that wouldn't matter? We also have a fireplace and probably several other factors that leads me to believe they should have inspected further.

At any rate, my most recent quote included a 60,000 btu furnace in it.
    The furnace is right off of the front door, easy to get to etc etc etc. The wall to the outside is going to be over the washer and dryer through the finished ceiling to the outside about 10' away. The air conditioner will be right below it if thats of any concern.
    The quote included a Bryant 355mav furance I believe he said was 92 % efficient but the manual states it's 96%. He's going to attach a Model SBP bypass humidifier and a Perfect Air , air purifier.
    xxxx Work on quotesheet states new plenum & return air boot , attaching new equip to existing ductwork and all piping and wiring to complete job.
    Seems kinda high to me. All for one day in and out. Not sure how much of that is labor and how much of that is materials though so , I'm talking without being informed properly so to speak.

So, the other quotes and the reason of my concerns.
    -All of the other guys said that my current furnace vents out through ductwork that the hot water tank vents out of too, and that there will be a sleeve needed to be put into this duct to make up for the loss of push from the old furnace, otherwise fumes could back up from my water tank. ALL of the other quotes said this except the guy with the quote above.

Also, the others recommended that I get a new air conditioner to match things up properly. My current quote said that my current air conditioner is fine.

Originally I thought the other guys were trying to sell me something or padding the equipment list, but without looking at those quotes exactly, I do remember one being xxxx and that included the duct sleeve AND a new air conditioner. It also included a name brand furnace in all the quotes.

I had one quote where the guy said I dont need anything other than an 80% furnace if I plan on selling this place in 5-7 years??

what should be a good range be for what I am looking for in the opinions of others?
    Does any of this sound right, wrong or without seeing it you can't guestimate? Keep getting quotes until I feel comfortable or? Just not sure what to do. My parents built a new house and their entire HVAC bill was CENSORED PRICE for ductwork, super high effec furnace, air conditioner with electronic dampers, great filter and a beefy air purifier. Dual thermostats etc etc. BEEFY system.

If I take my most recent quote and throw in the air conditioner he said I could get if I wanted to now, my quote would be another xxxx for the additional 2 ton air conditioner (dual stage bryant)..

Thanks, I'm kinda swimming here and just not trusting much of what has been said to me thus far. Although this last guy, high in price seemed to at least convey confidence in me.

S
    Last edited by sincraft; 11-17-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: removed pricing

where are you??? no pricing....edit your post.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I live in Pittsburgh PA. 0 degree days are NOT common and in fact very rare, however 25-35 degree days are very common for some times months. Of course, we will get probably 7 - 10 0 degree and lower nights a year.

S
    Last edited by sincraft; 11-17-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Please read the forum rules. "No Pricing questions". Please edit the prices out of your posts.

All the prices...............
    Last edited by chucko615; 11-17-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I don't think he understood.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Woh, no pricing seems a bit odd. Kinda lends merit to my distrust towards the industry.

it's the rules....not about your distrust.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Well, then it makes this thread a pointless one. Feel free to ignore and delete.

Pricing cannot be discussed because a reasonable price cannot be determined without seeing the job. Every job will be different as will pricing which will vary depending on location and level of work performed.

What I pay for equipment here in Houston will in no way relate to what a contractor in your area will pay for the same unit. In addition labor cost, insurance, taxes and collateral materials will all be different for each contractor.

Any competent contractor will not even provide a quote over the phone in an area he knows very well.

You even alluded to a particular problem when you said no contractor that has been to your home has a performed a load calculation. There is no way a person on the internet can determine what should go into your home we cannot see what difficulties may lie in wait.

Do not distrust the industry find a quality contractor that will perform the proper inspections design a quality system and will install it properly and then service it after the sale. Ask for references from past and current customers talk to them and pay what it takes for the work to be performed.

It cost money to have a quality system designed and installed; go cheap and you get what you pay for.

My install frequently cost as much as 100% more than other quotes generally as much as 35% more than the next highest bid. Occasionally others price in the same range as my work. I have yet have a customer feel that they overpaid for my services because I deliver what I promise.

I suggest that you ask for a contractor from this forum in your area and give them a chance to help you out. Just because the post or visit here doesn’t mean they are the best but most that post here appear to have quality at the top of their list.

Twilli thinks we should allow pricing so cheap customers could make our lives even more miserable. You had 4 qoutes and you want internet quotes?????
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Great post, Al. We should save that and post it everytime pricing comes up.

PS: Loonie thinks twilli should stop thinking

Quotes

Actually, you guys who are sooo miserable over your pricing are a joke.
    I got quotes on replacing my system with a 92K Btu 96% variable speed furnace and a 3 ton A/C and matched coil and the quotes I got from 3 guys came in almost FOUR times the price that I ended up buying the same system myself from a wholesaler out of NewYork who does sell directly to the public.
    Then I got a quote from a contractor who was reasonable and he does installs for Sears and had the whole thing done for 33% of the quotes I got from you crying "professionals". You guys love to make a bundle on the system as well as the install. The install was done so clean and passed inspection quickly and was done in 6 hours with 2 guys. I am sure you guys will now come out with every answer on this one but no matter what you say, you guys want 3-4 times what its worth and I got it done by a licensed guy who doesnt screw people and got it done to code and inspected to code.
    Last edited by georgemccormick; 11-18-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by georgemccormick View Post
    Actually, you guys who are sooo miserable over your pricing are a joke.
    I got quotes on replacing my system with a 92K Btu 96% variable speed furnace and a 3 ton A/C and matched coil and the quotes I got from 3 guys came in almost FOUR times the price that I ended up buying the same system myself from a wholesaler out of NewYork who does sell directly to the public.
    Then I got a quote from a contractor who was reasonable and he does installs for Sears and had the whole thing done for 33% of the quotes I got from you crying "professionals". You guys love to make a bundle on the system as well as the install. The install was done so clean and passed inspection quickly and was done in 6 hours with 2 guys. I am sure you guys will now come out with every answer on this one but no matter what you say, you guys want 3-4 times what its worth and I got it done by a licensed guy who doesnt screw people and got it done to code and inspected to code.
    don,t come back for advise call same guy when you got problem i hope he can fix for you . inspection they don,t test syestem over size or not any more ?

No we aren't going to cry, we are just going to keep screwing the general public. Twilli is glad there aren't more highly intelligent people like you. Since your such a genius maybe you could market your sperm and make a "small" profit then you wouldn't be so tight for money.

Twilli knows you work for chump change, but the majority of us want to continue to make our windfall profits.

Hopefully you won't have to hang around here anymore tipping off the unsuspecting consumer....please.....pretty please.....Don't force Twilli out of business
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast