Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    16 SEER with only 8.7 HSPF? Someone sold you a system on "efficiency", but forgot to tell you that it was only efficient in cooling mode at mild temperatures. 8.7 HSPF was acomplished by several 10 SEER systems. If you havent made your purchase, spend some time doing some homework.

I believe that's what the mktg lit says for it... 3 ton Lennox XP16 which is a 2-speed. Not sure where to get the official stats. I think the only thing better in that line is the XP19 and that I can't afford unless I give up my 3-zoning which is necessary. I do have 20 KW heatstrip backup. Any other recommendation in the Lennox line...all dealers who bid were Lennox.

Try some other brands.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
    16 SEER with only 8.7 HSPF? Someone sold you a system on "efficiency", but forgot to tell you that it was only efficient in cooling mode at mild temperatures. 8.7 HSPF was acomplished by several 10 SEER systems. If you havent made your purchase, spend some time doing some homework.
    I don't remember 10 SEER systems having an HSPF of 8.7. Most 13 SEER are below that, typically around 8.2-8.5. What I remember on 10 SEER systems was about 7.7 to 8.2 HSPF. I am going to do a little searching to see if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by stockgal2 View Post
    I believe that's what the mktg lit says for it... 3 ton Lennox XP16 which is a 2-speed. Not sure where to get the official stats. I think the only thing better in that line is the XP19 and that I can't afford unless I give up my 3-zoning which is necessary. I do have 20 KW heatstrip backup. Any other recommendation in the Lennox line...all dealers who bid were Lennox.
    gal,

The need for a 20kw heat strip backup makes me question whether your HP is sized correctly. Assuming a 3 ton is correct, then I would ask installing dealer about (2) 10kw heat strip modules and have them staged. according to heat loss demand.

IMO

In my opinion, the best procedure with a heat pump is to leave the house set at one temperature. If you dont do this then I suggest getting a thermostat that allows you to lock out the resistance heating strips.

Quote Originally Posted by dn0121 View Post
    I'll give you an example of how I am using my HP. 70s during day, 61 at night outside temp is above 36 degrees at night and in the upper 40s to mid 50s right now. In the early morning it takes less then an hour for my HP to raise it to 70. I have gas as backup and is locked out above 36 degrees outside temp.

When you do all electric from what I have read it is not worth it to do temperature swings like I am doing if your in really cold weather. I can't sleep well though with the temp above 65.

The XP16 in a 3 ton, depending on the match, will only give you between 6.7 and 8.2 HSPF... The EER's are only 10.90 and 11.20 at best. The SEER, as if it were important can only pull a 14.2.

Dont let them call this a 16 SEER, high effeiciency machine.

The XP19 is only slightly better on SEER, and maybe even a smidge better on EERand overall average of HSPF , but there is a significant cost difference to gain that little.

Choice is either Lennox XP14 which is "up to 16 SEER & up to 9.5 HPSF", or their XP16 w/2-stage scroll compressor "up to 16 SEER & up to 8.7HPSF" both using 410.

Since I am in semi-mild winter climate with very discounted winter elec rates (8 months of discounted rates), and very very hot summers w/no discounted rate, the XP16 gives me the cost savings when elec rates and burden on system is the worst and giving the 2-stage feature to be able to draw less a/c power instead of full power all the time -- more savings.

So far the installers questioned between the two as well as Lennox tech preferred the 2-stage feature since again it helps w/summer rates and that the 8.7 HPSF is fine for a heat pump. They all agreed the XP19 doesn't give enough adddl bang for the addl buck.

Quote Originally Posted by stockgal2 View Post
    Choice is either Lennox XP14 which is "up to 16 SEER & up to 9.5 HPSF", or their XP16 w/2-stage scroll compressor "up to 16 SEER & up to 8.7HPSF" both using 410.
    Post model numbers of condenser and air handler for efficiency and performance ratings.

FYI:
    I measured the supply air temperature (just after the coil) of my Goodman 3 ton 14 SEER (12 EER, 9 HSPF) last night using a Fluke meter w/calibrated t-couple:

Start
    47 degrees outside
    68 degrees inside
    68 thermostat setpoint

95.7 air handler temp from heat pump

Bump stat to 70
    136 degrees (aux heat kicked in)
    96 degree air handler temp after aux heat kicks off and temp stabilzes

Bump stat to 72
    150 degrees (aux heat must be in 2 stages, 5 kw per stage)
    99.5 degree air handler temp after aux heat kicks off and temp stabilizes

End test
    72 degree room temp, about 1/2 hour of total run time

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Post model numbers of condenser and air handler for efficiency and performance ratings.

FYI:
    I measured the supply air temperature (just after the coil) of my Goodman 3 ton 14 SEER (12 EER, 9 HSPF) last night using a Fluke meter w/calibrated t-couple:

Start
    47 degrees outside
    68 degrees inside
    68 thermostat setpoint

95.7 air handler temp from heat pump

Bump stat to 70
    136 degrees (aux heat kicked in)
    96 degree air handler temp after aux heat kicks off and temp stabilzes

Bump stat to 72
    150 degrees (aux heat must be in 2 stages, 5 kw per stage)
    99.5 degree air handler temp after aux heat kicks off and temp stabilizes

End test
    72 degree room temp, about 1/2 hour of total run time
    Is your coil ON TOP of your blower? Should be below the blower. Otherwise, you aren't allowing the heat pump to raise the temperature as well as it should.

Temperature rise @240V, 1200 CFM:
    4.8KW=13, 7.2KW=19, 9.6KW=25, 14.4KW=38, 19.2KW=50

The difference between your two aux heat numbers (150 and 136) makes me think that you've got 14.4KW strips. I also think that you might have picked up some radiant heat from the elements/coil. Can you measure it immediately after a turn (perhaps a bypass humidifier duct)?

GaryG:
    Lennox models are
    Heat pump: XP16-036 3 ton 16 SEER 2-stage scroll compressor
    Blower coil w/var speed: CBX32MV-036
    Heat strip: 20KW

"up to" is no different than a commercial for a car where "prices start at". Neither one of them will come into play in the real world. I'm merely suggesting you look for yourself.

Understood, that's why i said "up to" as they do. I don't have any literature yet for any other details than what Lennox says on their mktg. Thx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast