Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I cooked a 20 pounder last year after injecting it with creole butter.
    Took about 50 minutes.
    It was goooooood.

I always brine turkeys

And I don't have a marinade injector. So both are getting brined tonight. And then one fried tomorrow.

Hope it don't explode on me.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Benncool, everything else is against state law in California. I don't see why they should let a bunch of no good turkey frying people get away with it.

Thumbs up

Ham is in oven with coca-cola and sweet potatoes are cooking..
    Deviled Eggs
    corn bread dressing/it don't know it will be served with HAM..LOL
    Corn on cob steamed
    String Beans casserole
    Orange cake with orange buttercream frosting
    My mouth is watering , damn thats's a BIG 19.44lb. ham.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Just woke up from a "fried turkey" generated nap. We bought a Turk & Surf electric turkey fryer. 10# 11oz turkey,creole butter injection, on grill for 20 minutes with pear branches smoldering for smoke flavor, and 37 minutes in the fryer. What a good flavor. And pretty quick too. Cant wait to fry a steak in it tommorow. Any one ever have deep fried steak? Got any recipes? I might throw in a snicker bar as well, I hear those are good too.
    Last edited by mdharris68; 11-22-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Doubt I'll be doing another one

Scrubbed out the pot, set up the burner.

Put the turkey in the pot, filled it with water, took out the turkey, measured the depth of oil required.

Rode the Bonneville at high speeds on back roads for three hours heading south. As the sky grew darker and clouded over I headed back first east and then north. Racing the wind and skirting the drifting leaves I rolled back under cover here just as the skies opened up. That always gives me the grin of someone who feels he's cheated the natural way of things - and gotten away with it. <g>

Grabbed the fryer burner and shoved it under the carport overhang. Test fired the burner, poured in the oil (took FIVE GALLONS!), and set the propane valve to HI. Tossed in a temperature probe, set the alarm for 350 and had a chat with my friend Mr. Beam.

The turkey had been dried, seasoned, and left standing on a rack on a tray in the kitchen.

Alarm went off and we and the turkey headed out there. Easing him in caused a pretty hefty geyser to erupt, so I paused at about half way. It didn't get any better so I yanked him out and turned off the burner. Settling him into the oil then well oiled my boots, my jeans, and my driveway. Especially the driveway.

Clock said: 4:53P

Oil temp dropped to 309 by the time I had the burner at full-tilt again.

It took about ten minutes but I got the oil back to 350 and cut back the burner to maintain it. Oil was still boiling out everywhere - rnnning down the driveway.

About ten more minutes and the turkey was floating and looked Really done to me.

But you all had told me: three minutes per pound and then five more minutes for some reason that I forget right now. So that would make the It's Done Now time: 5:28P

Not that I was doubting you, but I've seen a fair number of done things - and sure looked like another one of them to me. So at about 5:15P I tonged that puppy out of there and found the breast meat was 195 and the thighs 208.

Now as I would generally consider an oven turkey to be done at about 160 and 170 - this fried guy seemed way Past done.

It was OK, and the skin was great, but some parts were a whole like like turkey jerky. <g>

And weirdly; the legs seemed under-done.

So: $50. in oil, Who knows what the driveway cleanup will run? And I'm not sure yet if my boots and jeans will Ever be the same. Plus; I have what promises to be a decent job just cleaning the burner and pot.

At this point this fried turkey is looking like a Two-In-One deal - first and last. <g>
    PHM
    --------

One thing we should have told you is to wear old clothes you will get splattered.
    Cooked mine today and thought it got a little over-done too.

Peanut Oil

What do you do with the used oil?

Run it through cheesecloth to catch big particals. Store and use next time. I'll fry about 4-6 times with oil.

snowball -

Do you want the oil?

But, so far I've done nothing with the oil. I left it out in the fryer. It was in the 30's last night and is only going to be 40 today.

My plan was to filter it and put it back into the jugs it came out of. We often fry things indoors - shrimp, fries, etc. So I guess we will use the oil . . . . . . well; if I live long enough; I only have maybe 50-60 years left. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Thumbs up

I tried an oil less one this year I normally deep fry the turkey .No more this worked great looks like deep fried and taste like deep fried without the oil hassle .I did a dry rub and marinated it great set up !!I was about $129 at Lowes http://www.charbroil.com/thebigeasy/...FUtyOAod8E2HLQ Moist and tender not dry I had my doubts but not after doing an 18lb turkey yesterday all the relatives didn't know the difference.
    Would the last person to leave NJ please put out the lights

I bought one a couple years ago because I thought the turkey frier burner would kick a$$ with a wok. I never had enough heat on the stove to deep fry or cook Chinese correctly.
    But then I bought a stove with a 14500 btu front burner and have no wok problems anymore.

I still think it would deep fry well.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

I filter my oil and put it back in the jugs. You can then put it in the deep freeze and it will keep well for about a year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast