Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Who has a turkey fryer ?

One of those big outdoor (I am assuming <g>) propane pots for deep frying turkeys.

How does it work?

Do you find yourself using it often?

Do you use lard or vegetable oil?

Wow! It just occurred to me - maybe I could save up all the bacon grease until I had a few gallons and then fry them puppies in that! Damn that sounds yummy! <g>

How much propane does it use? Do you have to change 20 pounders while doing one turkey?

Do you ever use it to fry anything else?

Is it OK to use in the winter? Still gets the heat up to temp out in the cold?

All that stuff - Details Man! I need Details!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I have 2 of them (brother moved and left 1).

I use them all the time, have fried about 50 turkeys so far plus have just learned to fry ham and they work great on eggrolls too.

You can probably get 4-5 turkeys from cold to done out of one 20lb tank of propane and I have never had to change in the middle of cooking.

I use mine in the winter with absolutely no problems but then I am in Honolulu and it will be in the mid 80's X-mas day here.

I got one a couple years ago. Use it quite a bit, We fry fish alot they are great and dont really use a ton of propane. I keep an extra tank and change as needed
    I only use veg oil (healthy lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    One of those big outdoor (I am assuming <g>) propane pots for deep frying turkeys.

How does it work?

Do you find yourself using it often?

Do you use lard or vegetable oil?

Wow! It just occurred to me - maybe I could save up all the bacon grease until I had a few gallons and then fry them puppies in that! Damn that sounds yummy! <g>

How much propane does it use? Do you have to change 20 pounders while doing one turkey?

Do you ever use it to fry anything else?

Is it OK to use in the winter? Still gets the heat up to temp out in the cold?

All that stuff - Details Man! I need Details!
    Don't use vegetable oil for frying a turkey

Use Peanut oil it has a higher temp rating

I use mine year round, Low country boil, fried chicken/fish
    even set a clambake pot on top of it works like a charm

No you won't have to change cylinders a 20 lber will be more than enough to deep fry a turkey

The key is to get the oil hot enough and keep it there

Before deep frying any meat, get it out of the frig and let it come up to temperature

takes a little longer but yes it will keep the temp up in the winter

I have one, love it. Makes the best turkey, good and moist.

But........SAFETY...SAFETY...SAFETY!!

Read the instructions and follow them. Too much oil will be big trouble. Lower the turkey slowly. Use it in an area where nothing will catch fire, like a garage roof or porch.

Heres a link which shows what happens if you don't follow instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ey+fryer+fires

Enjoy your turkey!
    Last edited by powell; 11-17-2007 at 05:01 PM.

My fryer is great! I've only done one turkey so far this year, more to come next week. Been experimenting w/ different injectable marinades, gotta come up w/ a good one before Thursday. Peanut oil is the recommended oil for use. I've heard of alot of problems w/ people burning down their houses etc. I've cooked birds sober & drunk never had problems. Be cautious.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If the oil gets too hot - can I just pour in water to cool it off?

Actually I wanted to know how much oil to put in.

This looks like your basic turkey fryer - maybe 30-40 quart pot. And I got a ten lb. turkey for the trial run tomorrow. And 3 gallons of peanut oil.

Anything special to prep the turkey?

How much oil should I use?

How hot should the oil be?

How long do you cook the turkey?

Should I use a meat probe?

Can I brine the turkey before frying it?

What else do I need to know?
    PHM
    --------

This looks like your basic turkey fryer - maybe 30-40 quart pot. And I got a ten lb. turkey for the trial run tomorrow. And 3 gallons of peanut oil.

First, did you get a manual and thermometer with the fryer?

Oil temp not to exceed 350 degrees. Measure the oil, not the turkey.
    Always monitor while cooking.
    Fry 3 to 3.5 minutes per pound.
    Do not use lid.
    Do not insert frozen or partially frozen turkey in oil.

Oil level: Place the turkey upside down on the rack and place inside the pot. Pour water into the pot until the turkey is covered. Next, remove the turkey from the pot. The remaining water line indicates the amount of oil to use. Note the mark of the water line left in the pot. Pour out the water, dry the pot, then pour in the oil up to that mark.

ALWAYS monitor and adjust the temperature.

Do not leave unattended.

Here's a link on safety. http://www.ul.com/consumers/turkeys.html

Anything special to prep the turkey
    I always use a cajun dry based seasoning. Rub on the turkey and let set for a few hours.

OK to brine the turkey first before frying ?

I just borrowed the fryer from some guy I've never met - over the internet. Weirdly; I've never even Seen him. <g>

So I have no manual or instructions - except for you all. <g>

So I'm countin on ya!
    PHM
    --------

I just borrowed the fryer from some guy I've never met - over the internet. Weirdly; I've never even Seen him. <g>

So I have no manual or instructions - except for you all. <g>

So I'm countin on ya!
    Just remember, you are the thermostat with this fryer, no "set it and forget it", pay attention to the advise on this thread and you will have a great turkey!

In fact, what time are you serving? I'll be over with my family.

P.S. I don't like beets.

3 gallons of oil should be fine the accurate way to measure oil required would be to put your bird in the pot and fill with water until the bird is covered then pull the bird out and note the level. Check your pot for manufactures recommended fill lines as my newer pot has level fill marks for different weight birds. Too much oil will take longer to heat and increases chance of oil boiling-over.

It is recommended to cook turkey at 325-350 for 3-3.5 min/pound I heat my oil to 375 then when I drop the bird in the oil cools to 325ish and after about 20 -25 min the oil will get a little above 350 so I just shut the propane off.

I use a long thermometer that came with the fryer to monitor oil temp and never probe the turkey itself (I have always heard that poking holes in the bird will dry it out) also being a high-tech HVACer I have used my inferred thermometer more as a joke but it worked.

I have never brined a turkey nor know any that has, I don't see why it wouldn't work but the turkey is moist enough without brining. If I am cooking a turkey for myself I will inject with marinade and coat with cajun spices the night before but if its for a party at work I just cook em plain.

So you can estimate when to start, it takes ~45 minutes to heat the oil, ~45 minutes to cook ~14lb bird then ~20 minutes of resting time before cutting.

A bit of advice;
    - About an hour before you plan to cook take your turkey out of the fridge and pat it with paper towels to get it as dry as possible. (a dry room temp bird will splatter less)
    - There will be couple Tee spoons of oil drain from the bird so rest on a rack if possible.
    - To keep bird warmer while resting cover loosely with foil but avoid trapping steam.

Good luck and enjoy.

All great advise here. But the missing component is crack a beer and watch the bird
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast