OEM bearings or not?

Replaced the bearings in a 5712 Hobart slicer today but we elected to purchase the bearings from a local bearing supply we use a lot (quick and easy pick up, not due to pricing).

Thoughts on the OEM bearings not being used?
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.

n hipping charges
    Quote Originally Posted by absoair View Post
    Replaced the bearings in a 5712 Hobart slicer today but we elected to purchase the bearings from a local bearing supply we use a lot (quick and easy pick up, not due to pricing).

Thoughts on the OEM bearings not being used?
    Years ago , Hobart supplied great bearings . Then i guess because of greed or something there quality went down . Ive replaced many bearings in models like the 1612 , 1712 , 2612 etc etc ...now i only buy from a local shop .
    So smart move on your part . Plus you dont have to wait a week and shipping charges.

I would cut hobart out of the picture every chance that I got. Many years ago, in my limited hot side days, had an oven that needed the control module. Hobart parts took the b/m number, and said it was going to be 5 days for the part to arrive. The part finally arrived, and I went to install it. The oven wasnt there, but a nice new oven was in its place. I asked the manager what happened, and was told that the day after I diagnosed the oven, the hobart salesman happened to show up, and sold them a new oven. It wasnt a critical oven, just something for weekend breakfast rush. After that, I started changing the last digit on the b/m by one. A couple of weeks later, parts called me back and said that number indicated that the appliance was out of state. I told them they were all pieces of shat, and bought everything through heritage and ebay after that.