+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NOVAR and the woes of a VAV4040.

Post Likes

NOVAR and the woes of a VAV4040.

I realized that 'NOVAR' in spanish translates to 'NO GO', but that's beside the point. . .

We're pulling out all the pneumatics and replacing with NOVAR's latest. The base system is old and was installed some 10 years ago plant wide. Currently the ESS version is 4.20 with the latest being 4.80 I believe.

Problem I'm having is the 4040 won't come up on the bus. The 4.20 version does not have 4040's as a device in the add-a-device list so I config'd it as a VAV in the Lingo panel. We do have VAV4020's with the detached actuator up and running on the bus now but the 4040 just will not talk.

I've got it figured to one of three things: The bus does not like to be T-tapped, the address switch is wrong, or the ESS version is incompatible.

As far as T-tapping the bus, I have another building running peachy with a short Ttap in it no problem. Verbal from the sales engineer is it is not an issue. With a meter I get 2.0 volts + to shield and 2.3volts - to shield.

The address switch is confusing as NOVAR is a 1 when the switch is off and 0 when it is on . . so for address 17 on the 8 position switch it goes like
    off-on-on-on-off-on-on-on (position 8 specifies 9600 baud rate). I made it like the pictures and it lived up to it's name - NOVAR.

That leaves only the ESS version - still I would think if addressed properly the Lingo panel would at least comm (not display a comm loss on the monitor screen)

So . . I did get a hold of 4.80 version but I don't have the huevos to lay it over the top of the old version without a safety net. I installed it in a separate directory and when trying to access the Lingos it says incompatible version. OK, I get you need to do a version download but it errors out at the screen prior - a chicken or the egg problem. Maybe it needs the database in its subdirectory (default install?) to work. . . Once i get IT to image the drive then I'll try it again.

Anyone face this dilemna before? Some insight would be helpful.

regards
    g

ps: next week the Lingos are going ethernet. some other company is doing the updates and per the owner - all the latest software comes with it too. I'll be camping on their doorstep for awhile I think.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

gbfromsd,
    If your current version doesn't support the vav-4040, then you will definately have to upgrade. A 4040 will not show up in your system when set up as a "VAV" (4020). The latest version of ess 32 is 4.90 . Upgrading your software is simple. Just run the setup from the disk or from the setup file. To upgrade your Lingo with new firmware just perform a version download instead of a load change download. I would install everything in the default directories. This is probably the source of your errors. Finally, it is OK to Tee tap the Logic One bus, but the newer executive modules seem to be more sensitive to too much tee tapping(Lingos, etc) than the older stuff(EP2,etc).

Post Likes
    i second that, if your firmware doesnt say vav 4040 then a 4040 isnt goin to be working.

i never had any issues with the bus topology, evenwith the newest executives.

Post Likes
    gbfromsd,
    You mentioned 9600 baud. Did you set this new 4040 controller to that? If you did maybe thats another possibility why you don't see it. I know the the 4020's are only talking at 1746 baud. Try a slower baud on the 4040 see if that helps.

Post Likes

Novar ESS 4.20

Ess 4.20 does not support the VAV 4040. I know it will work with 4.90 which is the latest and greatest. You will need to upgrade the Savvy/Lingo to this and do the version download. There is also some firmware that will need to be upgraded as well. Depending on what company is doing the monitoring once the ethernet is installed it may be a non issue as they may do the upgrade at that time. You are correct that the addressing is different with Novar. We start with all the Dip Switches in the "ON" position then address to the off position. The comment of "NO GO" really does not inspire someone to help but I will try anyway sensing that this comment might be out of furstration.

Post Likes
    my bad . . . It's just documentation is poor and support seems even poorer.
    several calls later and I'm still spinning on it.

Anyways - I got the 4040's talking to the Lingo panel but now am unable to calibrate. The airflow calculation entry when changed does not propagate to the controller. Lingo was created in 4.20, last updated with 4.90 firmware version 52.94 I think. Documentation states there should be a calibration mode but nowhere within the menu is this available. From ESS4.90, values do not propogate to the controller. I'm assuming cause it has to go through the Lingo and if the Lingo is pooched, so too is ESS.
    We got 4 of 7 panels changed out to the latest Lingos so if the firmware isn't going to do these 4040's we may end up switching a couple panels around.
    Any thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in