+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Walk in cooler from chest freezer compressor-is it possible?

Post Likes

Walk in cooler from chest freezer compressor-is it possible?

Hello,

First let me say I know very little about cooling, compressors, freezers, etc. I am deployed in Afghanistan and when we aren't busy there isn't a lot to do so I have been planning projects for my house for when I get home.

I was toying with the idea of building a small walk in cooler (4'w x 5'l x 7'h) to hold my kegs. I would probably insulate with rigid foam to an r-value of 39 which would be 6" of foil faced insulation just because I like overkill. I have been reading about people using window ac units and have seen mixed reviews.

What I was wondering is if it is possible to run coolant lines around the inside of the walk in cooler in front of the insulation but behind a protective surface and connect it to a chest freezer compressor. I was wondering if something like this would work since a chest freezer is designed to operate at a much colder temp so it might not put as much stress on the larger volume of coolant running through the walk in.

I'm guessing the cost to do this would defeat the purpose of a DIY project because of coolant line cost but I figured its always better to ask someone who knows.

Oh, I also know that I can't charge it myself. I do know a few HVAC guys back home but I don't have contact with them until I am home.

Thanks!

Mike

Post Likes
    mike . let one of your h-v-a-c guys build some thing with you when you get back home .good luck.

Post Likes
    Mike

Planing on doing some drinking when you get back? 120 sq ft beer cooler WOW.

A box that size may need 1/2 HP or larger system. Your set up won't work.
    Add to that the electric to operate it is high.
    Get a Old fridge and use that as a keg cooler.

Thanks for your service

Post Likes
    Yes you can, Mike.
    But while you're getting that compressor, commandeer the entire freezer (20cft if possible) and simply recalibrate the cold control for chill swill.

And stay safe over there, eh.

Post Likes
    The electric bill will be huge.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in