Honeywell VisionPRO TH8000 thermostat

I have a new VisionPRO and am trying to figure out how to program a larger differential between heat pump and aux heat.

Right now the inside temp is 70 and I have the "set to" temp at 70. But if I raise the "set to" temp to 71 then the aux heat comes on.

I'd like to have it programmed where the aux heat doesn't kick in until there's a differential of 4 degrees. I've been told there's a way to do this, but I didn't see it in the operating manual.

Any ideas?

Check page 19 of the installers guide.

You can't do it based on 4 degrees. However, if you have an external temperature sensor, then you can lock out the aux heat until it gets below a certain temperature.

See the install manual at:
    http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-1896EF.pdf

Go thru the settings and make sure they are correct.

Make sure you don't have your aux heat wired in as second stage of heat. Does the thermostat say "Aux Heat On", or are you determining that aux heat is coming on in a different manner?

I'm not sure if I have an external temp sensor. It is a brand new Armstrong unit, model 2SHP13LE118P-1.

The thermostat itself says "aux heat," usually whenever there is more than one degree difference between set temp and actual temp.

I have a gas furnace downstairs so wouldn't really ever need the aux or emergency heat upstairs as long as the gas is working downstairs.

Can I just pull out the jumper between aux and emer?

Thanks in advance.

I am a homeowner and am brand new to the heatpump thing, so my info may be way off base. You have been warned.

Here it goes. One thing that you might look at is the setting for how aggressive the recovery is. Mine is set for "2" (default). You can also choose 1 or 3. I believe that this will effect how quickly the aux heat comes on. More aggressive means that the aux. heat comes on with little change to try to recover to the set temp. ASAP. Less aggressive you can have a larger temperature differential before the aux. heat kicks in.

It is programming step 680. This manual has a bit better description of it.
    http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/68-0280.pdf

As for the external temp sensor, it is an item related to the thermostat, not the model of heat pump. If your thermostat has a temperature displaying in the bottom right corner that shows "outside", then it has an external sensor.

Hope this info is the least bit accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by gbstuar View Post
    I'm not sure if I have an external temp sensor. It is a brand new Armstrong unit, model 2SHP13LE118P-1.

The thermostat itself says "aux heat," usually whenever there is more than one degree difference between set temp and actual temp.

I have a gas furnace downstairs so wouldn't really ever need the aux or emergency heat upstairs as long as the gas is working downstairs.

Can I just pull out the jumper between aux and emer?

Thanks in advance.
    Do you have an outside temp sensor on your IAQ? If not, get one put on.

One of the settings is a aux heat lockout temp. If it's above that temperature outside, then the stat won't turn on the aux. I've got electric backup, so mine is set to 15*. I'm sure I'll have to raise that once I figure out the correct setpoint.

As for removing the jumper, I think I understand why you would want to do this. However, I'd go with the outside temp sensor first....