Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kenshvac View Post
    I dont think its equip or duct ,I think its the low voltage wiring or t-stattrust me
    Never trust someone that says "trust me".
    H.O already told us the problem. R.V. control wiring.
    Its funny, its usually homeowners and DIY's that immediatly scream "bad thermostat".

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Never trust someone that says "trust me".
    H.O already told us the problem. R.V. control wiring.
    Its funny, its usually homeowners and DIY's that immediatly scream "bad thermostat".
    thats funny I am licensed in nc with over 20 years exp and i just installed same unit what r u?exactly 24 volt wiring

Let me guess they tied orange wire from t-stat and h/p to air handler. uh-oh

Quote Originally Posted by kenshvac View Post
    I dont think its equip or duct ,I think its the low voltage wiring or t-stattrust me
    I believe the wiring would fall under equipment not working properly....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    I believe the wiring would fall under equipment not working properly....
    Well it would work right if it was wired right.RIGHT?

Talking

Now the heat is working. I'll take photos of the wiring and other parts of the installation some day soon and will post them here.

I got infraction 5 points for pricing, but I am really curious about the pricing issues. Is there a forum where we can discuss pricing issues or is this considered rude to discuss pricing on HVAC among customers? I know I made good profit to the installer which I don't mind as he must feed his family somehow, it just I am sometimes curious if I get a more or less fair price. I hope I'm not breaking the rules here as I am not posting the prices in numbers.

everyones prices are differant and every house is diffetant also so to even comment on the price without being at the house and seeing what is need and what needs to be done for it to work properly would be unfair to you and or any contractor that gave you a price

there for what ever you paid is fair as long as you are willing to pay it and are happy with the job and it works

enjoy you new system and dont forget to have it serviced spring and fall

I would call back the contractor.something for sure is not right with this unit /instalation.
    at 45f you should not even need back up heatstrips.could be low on refrigerant or like other posters said uninsulated ducts .

Which models of Goodman have the jumper between R and O in the air handler that has to be removed for heatpump operation? I'm not sure, but I have ran across a couple of them this past summer.

had that happen to me this summer, hooked up my 3rd HP ever and when I flipped it to cool it was in HP mode and blasted very hot air. I was going through a zone panel so was a bit difficult to wire, but I eventually got it figured out. That is why we to fire up systems in ALL modes of operation before we leave the jobsite. If it is too late that day, come back the next and fire up all other modes. Most hard feelings between techs and customers come from sloppy techniques, if this guy would have tested it when he was there, he would have caught it, might have took a call or 2 or some head scratching, but it would have worked from the start.
    You can't fix stupid

Smile

Glad to hear your HP cold air problem was resolved because I was worried reading about it since I too am about to replace my 20yr old propane Carrier furnace that is killing me at $700/month in a 2200sf house well insulated house (furnace cycling problem though which didn't help $$), so I am concerned about yours and others' postings indicated HP's blow cold!!!! Like you, I am about to go all electric since propane is over $2/gal and I read going 20% higher. Electric here in KS is $.07/kwh summer but only $.047 special elec rate for HP users for 8 months of yr. This should reduce my fuel costs by 75%. BTW Natural gas isn't available

For the pro's and the curious, I have internet researched to death and had many bids (most quite diff in price and diff size equip!) , so am settling on all LENNOX: 3ton XP 16SEER 2-stage HP w/a variable speed air handler w/20kw heat strip. I am also having them wrap the ducts in my unfinished basement and going with 3 zones since I have 2 BR up in half story that roast in summer and my MBR downstairs....this way the 2 sleeping zones can run comfortably at night while the 3rd zone (Kitchen, FR, DR) can have reduced HVAC needs at night.

Suggestions? Anything else to think of so I don't have regrets that I didn't do something? Anything weird/unique about these Lennox models to watch for as they do the work? I am still shocked at how far off bids for similar equipment were, and how wide a range of equipment size the various companies recommended for my house. All the way up to a 4 ton 15SEER w/ 30KW strip!!

Thanks for all the informative posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stockgal2 View Post
    ... I too am about to replace my 20yr old propane Carrier furnace that is killing me at $700/month in a 2200sf well insulated house (furnace cycling problem though which didn't help $$),

... Like you, I am about to go all electric since propane is over $2/gal and I read going 20% higher. Electric here in KS is $.07/kwh summer but only $.047 special elec rate for HP users for 8 months of yr. This should reduce my fuel costs by 75%. BTW Natural gas isn't available

... so am settling on all LENNOX: 3ton XP 16SEER 2-stage HP w/a variable speed air handler w/20kw heat strip. I am also having them wrap the ducts in my unfinished basement and going with 3 zones since I have 2 BR up in half story that roast in summer and my MBR downstairs....this way the 2 sleeping zones can run comfortably at night while the 3rd zone (Kitchen, FR, DR) can have reduced HVAC needs at night.

Anything else to think of so I don't have regrets that I didn't do something?

... far off bids for similar equipment were, and how wide a range of equipment size the various companies recommended for my house.

All the way up to a 4 ton 15SEER w/ 30KW strip!!

I might recommend a 4-ton 2-stage HP with maximum of 15 kW / 51,000 BTUh (perhaps 10kW ... 34,100 BTUh) depending on what an actual Load Analysis told me.

Did you receive a Manual J Load Analysis from the Mechanical Contractor ?
    I suspect, not.
    _______ Cooling ___ Heating
    Sensible _ _,000 _ _ ,000 BTUh __
    ???????? maybe ~ 29,000 cooling and ~ 52,000 heating

Latent _,000 or 3,000 _< minimal

How old is your house?
    R-__ insulation ceiling (30?)
    R-___ walls {19?}

How many windows? 14 or __
    One story ... 60' x 36' or so?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Pricing

I still think that we should have a forum where we could discuss pricing issues.
    Wall Street does the price thing, auctions do it as well. Why not have a consumer forum where they could discuss pricing? I live in an area where supply of (good) services is scarce, but the area is quite poor, so it seems like the local grocery and everyone else is overcharging us a lot.

This may seem out of topic, but actually it's on topic a bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reporters_Without_Borders

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast