Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sorry to ask so many questions regarding this topic but i want to make sure i do this right the first time i would like to go with the pvg because i think it is the best option and is afforadable if i could afford it i would go top of the line but can't. My questions are

Is the PVG noisy? Right now i have oil burners so is it more noisy then an oil burner?

I brought in a few chimney people for estimates and they didn't give me a straight answer what should i do should i direct vent right out the wall so i don't have to get a chimney liner or should i have the chimney lined with al29-c4 and run it up the chimney? Is there any upsides or downsides of going either way?

The chimney guys told me they use 316 steel which i guess i can't use for the pvg so how much money would it cost for a al29-c4 liner? They weren't sure what al29-c4 even was

If i direct vent out the wall will the heat damage my house at all i have painted cedar on my house?

Does the Pipe stick out far outside the house or is it flush with the house and looks like a dryer vent?

Is the PVG noisy? Right now i have oil burners so is it more noisy then an oil burner? Is Pvg Reliable?

Thank You I really appreciate the help

Ok i decided i am going with PVG and am going with Well Mccain Gold 60 Indirect. The Pvg i am going to vent out the wall as long as there is no downsides to doing this is there? Is it noisy? Does it stick out far from house?

I am just deciding what size pvg i should go with either the 4 or the 5 the plumber recommonds the pvg5 which the input is 140,000 btu's all the plumbers i brought in measured my baseboards added them up and multiplied by 600 I have about 170 feet of baseboards so that puts me at 102,000 btu's. According to the plumber i have to satisify the need for the indirect but i don't understand why since it will be on a priority switch. I don't want to go oversized because i don't want a unit which short cycles. Ever single estimate i gotten told me i need around 130,000 for my house. I wish i knew what size my current boiler is because it does not shortcycle but there is no info on it or model number. Any Thoughts should i choose the PVG 4 Or PVG 5
    Plumber recomonds pvg 5 so do you think if i go with it my unt wil shortcycle?
    Here are the Specs http://burnham.com/PDF/SCG-PVG%20lit.pdf
    Last edited by rschrei518; 12-08-2007 at 06:43 PM.

with a priority control

I would not oversize, get the PV4. The power vent will probably sound similar to the oil fire burner. It will be noticeable outdoors by the power vent outlet. Read the manual on Burnham's web site: no stainless 316. They mention some brand names of liner products that are approved such as Z-flex. Since you have a chimney, I think getting the liner is best. Less noise and the change of smelling exhaust fumes. The direct vent could stain your cedar and start flaking the paint off.

Not knowing how your piping is ran.
    I would go with the PV5. Its DOE rating meets your 102,000 btu, the PV4 does not meet it.

With 2 heating zones both boilers will be oversized most of the time.
    But when the OD temp is at design, the PV5 will be able to heat both zones at the same time.

On boilers with low water content, I prefer circs over zone valves, even with primary secondary piping.
    Flo checks will stop ghoust heating.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ok i am still very confused here is the pvg 4 to small for my needs. If i go with the pvg 5 will the unit shortcycle which i really do not want it to do? If i go with the pvg 5 should i disconnect the priority for the indirect to help put more load on boiler?

I was trying to avoid getting an al29-4c chimney liner because they are a lot of money I was told they are double the cost of a regular 316ti chimney liner and i wouldn't make my money back for more then ten years then if i got a reg atmospheric.

I was really hopeing to be able to vent out the wall but is the heat coming out of the vent really that bad where it will stain and damage my cedar?
    Is there a lot of exhaust fumes which come out?
    Is the pvg really going to be that noisy?
    Last edited by rschrei518; 12-09-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Have any of you people out there had any problems with the power vent being noisy or damaging siding or have the fumes bothered you?

The PV4 may struggle at design temps to keep both zones at stat set point.
    The PV5 won't short cycle, its only 12,000btu's more output.
    That extra btu will come in handy when you want to heat the house and the indirect calls for hot water ay the smae time. The boiler will be able to switch back to heating the house quicker.

Direct vent done right won't hurt the siding.
    Contractor locator map

The amount of baseboard is indicative of how much heat you could supply, not how much you actually need, Manual J calculations do that. As for installing new boiler I would ask the techs that are pushing yesteryears technology (80%+) how much better than 92-94% do they think will be available in the next ten years. I prefere the Munchkin boiler (properly installed) with its modulating burner to meet the ever changing conditions it is a real fuel saver
    Class of 70

So if i go with the pvg5 should i have a priority for the indirect or should i not have priority for indirect. I really do not want a unit which short cycles because once it's installed it is too late.

I would have gone with a modulating boiler but i am getting very very good deal on pvg through gas company. If i went with modulating boiler i probably wouldn't make my money back for a long time.

The pm;u thing i am worried about is venting through the wall and my cedar. Which termination do you recommond for it i don't want something that sticks out far but i also don't want something that will damage my house. Please let me know which one you think will be best for my circumstances.
    http://www.ventingstore.com/images/t...ions-small.jpg

I like the way the termination coupling looks but will it be good for my house?

I had another question i'm in the process of requesting a meter to be brought to my house for gas any of you guys know the limitations of where a meter can be placed. I wanted to place it next to my electric meter but my plumber says it can't be near it. Is this true? What He also says it can't be near my AC condenser is this true? How Far does it have to be from these items?

I am in Long Island New York. I called keyspan and none of the phone reps don't know anything. They told me to wait until guy comes to survey house but i would like to have an idea on where it is going to go beforehand any ideas?
    Last edited by rschrei518; 12-10-2007 at 03:25 PM.

I prefer the coupling.

Around here, the gas company tells us where the meter is going to be. We have no choice.
    Min of 36" from electrical devices.
    Contractor locator map

I was just looking through the book for the pvg and it shows a picture of a pipe on a 45 degree angle sticking out of my house so i am starting to wonder do i have a choice on which termination i use? I am hopeing that i can terminate a different way because that 45 degree thing looks ugly any thoughts? Here is the book look at page 13 and 14
    http://www.burnham.com/PDF/PVG_I&O.pdf

I am starting to think about this boiler sizing thing again. My current boiler which is oil fired does not shortcycle and seems to be proper size. I did a little research and was able to find out the input from the nozzle size it is a .87 which i believe is 120,000 btu's but the output must be much lower then that because it is 40 years old. There are no labels on it. I am starting to think maybe the pvg4 would be better because i thing pvg5 may shortcycle because it may be too big. What should i do Should i go with the pvg5 and disconnect the priority switch for the indirect so the indirect at times can pick up the rest of the btu's or should i go with pvg4 with priority. Plumber keeps telling me that i should not worry about it But if the thing does shortcycle i know i will not be able to sleep at night for the next 10 years.

What does I=B=R rating mean?
    Last edited by rschrei518; 12-11-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Institute of Boiler and Radiator Manufacturers.

I think you mean you current boiler has a .85 GPH nozzle.
    Which is the same nozzle that the PV5 has. It is more eeficient. I doubt you would notice a short cycling effect.
    The choice is yours.
    Contractor locator map

Ok i am going to take your advice here i am going to go with the pvg5 but should i put the indirect on a priority or not?

And i was curious if i can change the al29-4c termination method with the pvg? I was just looking through the book for the pvg and it shows a picture of a pipe on a 45 degree angle sticking out of my house so i am starting to wonder do i have a choice on which termination i use? I am hopeing that i can terminate a different way because that 45 degree thing looks ugly any thoughts? Here is the book look at page 13 and 14
    http://www.burnham.com/PDF/PVG_I&O.pdf

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast