Thread: Hobart 5712

Hobart 5712

Need help with 5712 top bearing making noise and there has to be an easier way to change the bearing than the way I see? Any help appreciated!
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.

If you're seeing that you have to drive the shaft out from the bottom after you remove the plastic pulley from inside, that would be correct. You can lay the slicer up on its back, remove the feet and split the top and bottom halves (if it's the mechanical automatic, otherwise just take the bottom off), open the two halves like a book so you don't have to disconnect all the electrical. The top bearing dies first because these things get hose washed daily. But since you're going to go to all this trouble, obviously do the lower bearing also. Good time to do a belt if it's showing any age. Once you have everything disconnected from the shaft you can drive it out using a brass rod or a wood block, taking care not to damage the threads on the shaft. It will probably come flying out across the room. Reassembly is obvious, just take your time and think it through. Good luck.

Actually, I meant to question your model number but assumed you meant a slicer like a 2712, 2912, etc.

serial# 561-121-743

Thanks for the info. I will be tapping it out first thing in the morning. That is actually where I stopped today. Looked at the parts break down and didn't see any threads on the other end of the shaft so I figured there was going to be some tapping involved. Thanks for confirming.

Success! It's back in business!

Now I get to post a bearing question.

The first one of those I did took me 3 days and lots of unbillable parts and freight to fix what I broke. I learned and only billed what was right. Absolutely no help from Hobart.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smeq View Post
    The first one of those I did took me 3 days and lots of unbillable parts and freight to fix what I broke. I learned and only billed what was right. Absolutely no help from Hobart.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    I spoke with them, I never asked for price or availability. I did a little research before diving in. Mostly studied the parts break down and ladder diagram. It was a little tedious but what really helped me was when he said he can remove the bearings without removing the motor. That's when I realized I had to separate the top from the bottom. It was pretty smooth from there. It felt really good to get it back together and running especially with all the secrecy. Looking forward to more of the same.

I always thought that I was a kick ass mechanic, that is until I worked with a guy that did nothing but slicers. Im just another dingus with a tool bag now....