Barometric by-pass with variable airhandler

Barometric by-pass with variable airhandler

Originally had zoning system installed with barometric bypass on the single speed air handler, now after replacing it wit variable speed one i have a question about need of the bypass. Sometimes I notice drive and bypass is fighting each other and I end up with fully open bypass and full speed running air handler with on zone open.
    Little background: 3-zone system all equal sizes total airflow set on 1000/750cfm hi and lo.
    So do I need a bypass? What is downside?

What's the max static pressure for your air handler? Hold the bypass closed - Run at stage 1 with the only the smallest zone open. If your static pressure exceeds the max pressure for your air handler, you need a bypass.

If your stage 2 comes on, it's because your thermostat / zone controller is calling for stage 2. You don't want stage 2 ON if any zone is closed. You didn't mention what type of zone controller & thermostat you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by gonekuku View Post
    What's the max static pressure for your air handler? Hold the bypass closed - Run at stage 1 with the only the smallest zone open. If your static pressure exceeds the max pressure for your air handler, you need a bypass.
    Isn't that what variable drive does? Ramps up and down depending on static pressure?

anybody?

still digesting all the info you gave us to go on..........

how about some model #s to work with.

maybe even some pictures.....

lennox does not want any bypass with their v drive blowers but we don't know what you have.

zoning is ewc and York 9v furnace
    I don't mean any disrespect but is my question really brand dependent?

not familiar with other brands but i know lennox does not want a bypass with v drive blower. i have read on here of other companies using bypass with v drive so i would say the answer you're looking for is brand dependent.

hopefully some york guys will come along and let you know for sure.

No you are right, the ECM is looking at the static. If it were me, I would open just the smallest zone and adjust the weight on the damper so it would not open as far. If the airflow through just that one zone is still too much, then I would incorporate minimum damper postions in the other zones to take some of the excess air.

You do not install a barometric damper with a variable speed furnace. It will fool the fan. Variable speed works off of static pressure and as you noticed the barometric damper fools the fan and it doesn't know what to do. Any variable speed manufacturer's rep will tell you not to install a barometric damper. I would remove the bypass entirely. The static pressure sensor will back the fan down as the zones close.

We use Arzel's modulating bypass damper with our zoned systems. They seem to work very well. I'm not a tech so I don't know the specs but our guys love the system.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.