Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier experts:Old ducts use with retrofit infinity gas furnace and a/c question

I have learned from this board that duct size is an important issue with proper HAVC operation. This is my question: if the current old system I have, which I am replacing due to its age, does a good job of heating in the winter and cooling in the summer with the current ducts in the house, why would the same ducts be a potential problem for a carrier infinity system. All responses are appreciate especially carrier experts. Thanks all for the help and input. Ron

To give you the simple answere older systems had alot of slop. New equipment is very precise and if your install is not you will not be satisfied also many people become accustomed to their equipment whether its right or wrong. Infinity is variable speed very intellegent system everything in your home needs to be as right as the logic in the programming. Since i dont see were your at ill give you this aswell im in south carolina one of our biggest problems with that equipment is wrong sized ducts causing everything to sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by super_tech_1 View Post
    To give you the simple answere older systems had alot of slop. New equipment is very precise and if your install is not you will not be satisfied also many people become accustomed to their equipment whether its right or wrong. Infinity is variable speed very intellegent system everything in your home needs to be as right as the logic in the programming. Since i dont see were your at ill give you this aswell im in south carolina one of our biggest problems with that equipment is wrong sized ducts causing everything to sweat.
    i'm a tec in tampa florida and we have problems with the returns being to small. i agree the older systems are ignorent. variable-speed is vary sensitive to duct sizing.infinity tells you something is wrong.

How will the infinity system tell you something is wrong? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    the infinity stat will say change filter

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If the duct static is too high the change filter alert will come up in a few days or hours of operation,if they don't turn the filter alert off.It may alsom show high static faults and shut downs ,in the history,for the tech.

What model .size , and type equipment do you have now?

It could be that your ductwork is ok. In dallas sometimes I find that the older (18 + years) systems with returns ran to almost every room, and on hard pipe are pretty good, and some arent. The more recent systems with "fast air" design are horrible. They often only have 1 central return that is too small, and supply ductwork is undersized to create velocity. Your contractor should be able to look at and test ductwork to see if it is ok.

Old ducts for new system

My current system is an 19 year old 4 ton Lennox A/C and a 24-25 year old 120,000 BTU York gas furnace in a house built in the early 1930 with two returns in the larger rooms and one in the smaller bedrooms. The house is located in washington dc and is pretty poorly insulated --blown in insulation in the attic and storm windows is about it. Plaster outer walls get pretty cold in winter. The house has about 2700 square feet of living space over two upper levels and a finished basement. Thanks for all the help and input. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Ron

Here is what the contractor has recommended for the retrofit:

Furnace: 58MVB 100-20
    Condensing unit: 24ana748--four ton
    COIL: CNPVP48
    INFINITY CONTROL: SYSTXCCUIDO1-A

My current system is an 19 year old 4 ton Lennox A/C and a 24-25 year old 120,000 BTU York gas furnace in a house built in the early 1930 with two returns in the larger rooms and one in the smaller bedrooms. The house is located in washington dc and is pretty poorly insulated --blown in insulation in the attic and storm windows is about it. Plaster outer walls get pretty cold in winter. The house has about 2700 square feet of living space over two upper levels and a finished basement. Thanks for all the help and input. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Ron

Here is what the contractor has recommended for the retrofit:

Furnace: 58MVB 100-20
    Condensing unit: 24ana748--four ton
    COIL: CNPVP48
    INFINITY CONTROL: SYSTXCCUIDO1-A

I install the Infinity systems all the time. Sometimes when these systems are installed with the existing ductwork when doing the initial start up it will give system malfunction or change filters. Mostly this will happen when the system measures the static pressure. Our salesmans advise the customers in getting their ductwork changed out in the process especially for the money that you are investing in this Infinity system.

I am confused--- how could you change out the duct work without having to rip up the whole house? I am sure that would cost more than the systems cost. thanks ron

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I am confused--- how could you change out the duct work without having to rip up the whole house? I am sure that would cost more than the systems cost. thanks ron
    There are a lot of things that can be done to improve the duts without ripping them out.

Could you please expalin them. thnaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast