helpless home owner

i've had 3 estimates to replace my furnace and air conditioner and i just can't decide what to do. one company offered trane, another ruud, and the third goodman. i keep searching for someone to list furnaces from best to worst but it doesn't seem that simple. i don't want to waste money but i also don't mind spending it if there's a difference. i realize that i have to look at similar models from these manufacturers. i've read that it's more important to have the correct size furnace and a good person to install it. no one that has come out has performed a load calculation....but they all quote me on a 90,000.....is that a big deal. all three people to come out have been nice enough on the surface....how do i know what kind of job they'll do? can anyone help me choose?

Any properly sized furnace & A/C will do you fine if installed & sized properly. As you are finding, that's not always easy to get.

First key is a dealer who cares enough to do a calc and size the stuff right. Way too many oversize when they guess. That is not efficient or quiet.

Trane & Ruud both have premium stuff and builder stuff. Goodman is just lower end, they have Amana brand for their premium stuff. If budget permits, the premium lines are nicer units, quieter, more features.

www.johnmills.net/work/advice.html

Search Usenet and other internet places and you should be able to find numerous consumer opinions on Goodman.

And as per the usual, the more parts there are, the more parts that can break. So if you don't use it much, you might be better off getting something as simple as possible. If you don't care about money and want something quiet and that holds indoor temps the most stable, then feel free to get some super high efficient multistage unit with extra bling.

Exclamation Don't over pay!!!!!!!!

Don't think twice about asking someone about there crudentials! Make sure they are licensed and insured, if they are they will not mind to pull a permit for the work. Once a permit is pulled a final inspection will take place to make sure all is to code. As for the a/c unit: Goodman is not a bad system they have acutally come a long way,they are the HYUNDAI of a/c lower priced, good unit with, great warranty to attract the customer. However,you get what you pay for they are loud, big, and are sold to any a/c guy off the street . NOT GOOD! Trane is a great system (even though iam not a fan), however you can get the same thing with a American Standard for much less $$$. Its like buying the Chevy Tahoe or a GMC Yukon, same engine,same company(GM) heck they even look the same. The Yukon just brings smaller details standard. But the Yukon is about $5k more, not really worth it. Ruud is a good unit built by Rheem but we have bad luck with then leaking alot in there coils. My advice keep shoping around look in to Bryant which is built by Carrier, Tempstar which is also being built by carrier & ICP. Ask around if anyone knows a good contractor thats also great. best of luck hope this helps
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

You can slander bad installs all you want, but not the brand. Goodman's are not loud if professionally installed with proper line set and ductwork.

6 months after the install, I still often lie awake in bed trying to listen if my HVAC is turning ON because I don't hear it at night (cooling or heating at stage 1). Stage 2 you can hear if you stop and focus on it.

I have a 6 month old Goodman 5TON 16 SEER GMV9590. It may be like a Hyndai, but a well serviced Hyndai will run 130,000 miles trouble free for a lot less combined acquisition and operating cost than a BMW.

heat load analysis is first

You should have a heat loss done. This is one of the easiest ways to insure that you are dealing with a professional.

I installed a Ruud in my brother's house. Modulating, quiet, efficient and easy to work on though I haven't worked on his since I installed it in
    Wisconsin, 2000.

MA

The key like said above is the Load Calc. Ask for it to be done, even if that means they have to come out again. I did and that person installed a smaller unit then everyone else suggested and smaller then I had before. Much happier now.

Also American Std came out more costly then Trane in my area.

Huyandai's are nice. But if you can afford a BMW, wouldn't you prefer to drive one. Go with Trane if you can afford it, other brands are good and if installed like poop a Trane won't be any better than a window unit. But if everything is on level playing fields, Trane is the BMW. Check references to make sure they are all good companies or ask friends and family who they have used.

Cool Carrier

I would recommend Carrier Infinity, with gas and electric rates on the increase, buying a really good efficient furnace is what you should do.

They also offer rebates up to 1k on there systems.

But, like the post in the forum says, without proper installation NONE of the unit will do what they are designed to do.

Proposal:

Load calculation
    Ductwoork assessment

Equipment
    Warranty
    Permits
    Rebate>

These are some of the items to look for.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>