TRANE Restance Heater Staging

Hi. Can anyone answer the following? For the case of the TRANE 14-15 SEER line of 3-31/2 Ton Heat Pumps coupled with the appropriate variable or fixed speed air handler, and requisite outdoor thermostat’s; Is there a 10Kw resistance element which can be staged to operate at either 5Kw or 5Kw +5Kw? Is there a 15Kw assembly which could be set up to give 5Kw or 10Kw? I was told the TRANE 10Kw heater is all on or all off which seems non-optimal from an energy use standpoint.

Dear Hivacjack,

Yes you can stage it into 5Kw and 5Kw if you want. BUT, on a standard wiring set-up 5KW heat element cannot overcomes your cold air when your unit goes into the defrost mode to thaw the ice on the outdoor coil. Therefore, the setup is to have 10 KW for ease and low initial cost.

But if you want to stage your 10 KW heat strips without compromising the comfort (cold air during defrost), the UL rated, and manufacture warranty, you just open yellow book and call around. I'll bet you will get someone to do it for you.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    Dear Hivacjack,

Yes you can stage it into 5Kw and 5Kw if you want.
    To stage a Trane/AS 10kw heat package you would have to completely rewire the heat package with new controls. Both 5kw heating elements are switched by the same double pole contactor.

All the multistage heat packages bring on 2 elements with W1, so wiring changes would need to be made to get only 5kw.

W1 has to be energized for W2 to work, so more would be needed than just swapping control wires at the terminal block.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 11-14-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hivacjack View Post
    Hi. Can anyone answer the following? For the case of the TRANE 14-15 SEER line of 3-31/2 Ton Heat Pumps coupled with the appropriate variable or fixed speed air handler, and requisite outdoor thermostat’s; Is there a 10Kw resistance element which can be staged to operate at either 5Kw or 5Kw +5Kw? Is there a 15Kw assembly which could be set up to give 5Kw or 10Kw? I was told the TRANE 10Kw heater is all on or all off which seems non-optimal from an energy use standpoint.
    BAYHTR1415 BRK is two circuits 10/5 or the 1419 is 2 circuits 7 1/2 and 11 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by hivacjack View Post
    I have a slightly similar desire. I have a 15KW strip that is 10kw+5kw. The 5kw is for second stage, and is wired to the second breaker. I believe there are wiring options available to make it a 5+5 or 10+5, depending upon whether or not the second breaker is on. Gives me control of the first stage of aux.

We'll see what the tech says next week when he's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
    I have a slightly similar desire. I have a 15KW strip that is 10kw+5kw. The 5kw is for second stage, and is wired to the second breaker. I believe there are wiring options available to make it a 5+5 or 10+5, depending upon whether or not the second breaker is on. Gives me control of the first stage of aux.

We'll see what the tech says next week when he's out.
    I have done something like that on some zoned 2 stage heat pump systems I put in a house. Only 5kw aux heat was needed, so I put in a 15kw heat package and rewired it so we could leave the 60A breaker off. The zone panels are mounted by the air handlers, so if there is a problem with the heat pump and they need emergency heat, they can flip the 60A breaker on when they switch the zone control to emergency heat.

The way the 15kw heat packages come from the factory, turning the 60A breaker off would kill the power to the controls.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    To stage a Trane/AS 10kw heat package you would have to completely rewire the heat package with new controls. Both 5kw heating elements are switched by the same double pole contactor.

All the multistage heat packages bring on 2 elements with W1, so wiring changes would need to be made to get only 5kw.

W1 has to be energized for W2 to work, so more would be needed than just swapping control wires at the terminal block.
    That's why I ask the owner to call you. I ain't gonna show him how to do it