Trane XL19i installation question

I am a homeowner who just had central air conditioning installed. During the installation I was watching as the refrigerant pipes were pressure tested following brazing and then evacuated with a vacuum pump. The techs did not use a micron gauge and assured me that the reading on their red/blue gauges indicated sufficient vacuum.

When I later mentioned this to the contractor contact who had quoted the system he was annoyed that the techs had not followed good practice and proposed that the system dryer/filter be replaced and the system then properly evacuated and recharged.

This seems like major (expensive) surgery to me, even though I would not see any cost.

I'm looking for some guidance here.
    1/ Does a poor pumpdown raise enough concern to warrant this level of repair work to the system?
    2/ If the freon charge is contaminated with residual moisture can this be detected by any other means and what might it do to the future reliability of the system?
    3/ How seriously would you expect this job performance issue to be handled with the tech? Is it minor or job threatening?

it wasn't proper, but for yrs no one used a micron gauge, haven't sold a 19i in 4 yrs, but if they are still R-22, I wouldn't make them reopen the system, if they had the pump on for 30minutes-1hr. (not just a quick 5 minute pumpdown) Chances are your ok, make them make a note of the poor choice of evacuation procedure so they can make it right if problems arise in the next few yrs with the refrigerant circuit. I would rather leave it closed up than reopen the system just to replace a drier that should be ok.
    You can't fix stupid

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jeff520 View Post
    I am a homeowner who just had central air conditioning installed. During the installation I was watching as the refrigerant pipes were pressure tested following brazing and then evacuated with a vacuum pump. The techs did not use a micron gauge and assured me that the reading on their red/blue gauges indicated sufficient vacuum.

When I later mentioned this to the contractor contact who had quoted the system he was annoyed that the techs had not followed good practice and proposed that the system dryer/filter be replaced and the system then properly evacuated and recharged.

This seems like major (expensive) surgery to me, even though I would not see any cost.

I'm looking for some guidance here.
    1/ Does a poor pumpdown raise enough concern to warrant this level of repair work to the system?
    2/ If the freon charge is contaminated with residual moisture can this be detected by any other means and what might it do to the future reliability of the system?
    3/ How seriously would you expect this job performance issue to be handled with the tech? Is it minor or job threatening?
    Recover the refrigerant and pull a deep vacume to 350 microns and isolate the pump, if vacume does not elevate above 500 microns in one minute evacuation is complete, if not continue to evacuate. Then recharge with new refrigerant and you should be fine.