Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Went for comfort, but was I expecting too much? (need Lennox experts)

Hello again. I posted back in August for advice on a new system. Thanks to a suggestion that I get a pressure test on my old Lennox Pulse, I got a credit towards a new Lennox. After reading about the comfort of a 2 stage model, I decided to get the Lennox G61 MPV, with a XC15 condenser, and a Honeywell Focus Pro TH6220. There have been a few glitches along the way. A couple of nights after the install, I got up in the middle of the night and when I stepped out into the hallway, I got the sensation that I was being beamed up by the mothership. That hum turned out to be a bad transformer. Then a few weeks later it got cold enough for the furnace to come on. After about a week, the furnace would start up and then shut down. That turned out to be a partially blocked condensate line. My HVAC company took care of both problems quickly. They have very good customer service.

The latest glitch hasn’t been as easy to solve. The weather here in Sacramento, CA has been pretty mild this Fall, so the furnace isn’t exacting getting put through its paces. But after a while I could swear that it was only running in one stage and it seemed to be second stage since it wasn’t particularly quiet. While I was playing phone tag with the installers, I ran across another post here about someone with the same setup as mine who was asking about the t-stat setup. His “system type” was set to O for 1/heat, 1/cool and he wanted to know if it should be set to 7 for 2/heat, 1/ cool. My little Honeywell operators’ manual didn’t mention a thing about a setup function, but I found the Focus Pro installation manual online and was able to check the setup. It had been left at factory default (1/heat, 1/cool). I set it up correctly and was so proud of myself, except it turned out that it didn’t make a difference. So I got the tech out, who seemed a little dubious, but finally had to admit that yes it was only running on one stage. I asked him take the t-stat off the wall to check if there was a fifth wire (I've been reading way too much HVAC-talk). I was betting there wasn’t, but I was wrong. He couldn’t get the dip switches set correctly, so he called Lennox support. They were all at a meeting. He came back Monday after talking to Lennox, set the dip switches and replaced the t-stat (same model).

I don’t want to call him back again without a little more backup knowledge, but I’m still not happy. Maybe Lennox just hyped the G61 so much in their literature that I am expecting too much. What is now stage 1 seems like it would be a nice blower speed for stage 2. It is nowhere near silent, but is a little quieter than my old furnace. It isn’t cold enough here yet for stage 2, so I ran the t-stat system test. I can barely tell the difference between stage 1 and 2. If this is the way it is supposed to be, the G61 isn’t worth the extra money. I do like the fan only setting. Now that is practically silent. Why can’t stage one be more like that? So my questions after all this rambling are: Is there some way to slow stage 1 down so there is more of a difference between 1 and 2? And would a different t-stat give me more control over the stages?
    Thanks for your help and insights,
    Lynn

I have installed more than my share of G61V furnaces, it's not set up correctly.

or if your ductwork is horrible, the blower becomes noisy too, to overcome high static.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    or if your ductwork is horrible, the blower becomes noisy too, to overcome high static.

10-4 on that!

As said above, its not set up right. Call them back. Did they check the ductwork when they sized your house? I would not blame the equipment at this point.
    Its a good Life!

I agree with the guys above.. Something is not set up right, or poor ductwork.

Also, you may not know.. but, how many sq ft is your home? How many BTU is the furnace, and a/c? Also, do you know what the old equipment sizing was?

Installer may not have set blower speed properly to be in the temp. rise specs.

more info

My house is barely 1600 square ft. My new furnace is the G61 MPV36B070 (3 ton). I can't remember exactly what my old Pulse was. I remember the sales guy said I could go a little smaller since I had added all double-paned windows, replaced doors with pre-hung weather-stripped models and added more attic insulation. It would fit better in the closet too and would be a lot easier to service. I'll find out when it gets colder, if that was a good idea.

I got bids from 4 companies and they all said that my duct work was fine. In order to qualify for one of my rebates, someone had to come out and test the ducts for leaks. They passed. The installers sealed around all the registers.

Lennox G61 stages

Are the blower speeds for stages 1 and 2 on the G61 set in stone or can they be adjusted? And if they can be adjusted, is it the dip switch settings that do that? Thanks

The blower speed can be changed.. The dealer should do this to make sure the temp rise isn't out of range from the specs of the furnace itself.

What you got for return(s)?

returns

The returns are under the furnace. One side faces the hallway and the other the living area. When they installed the new furnace they enlarged the return.

Is it return air noise, supply air noise, or the furnace noise that is bothering you?? I would say 90% of all new equipment problems are INSTALLATION RELATED.

I don't really think it is a noise issue. I don't think the stages are set up right. Shouldn't you be able to tell the difference between stage 1 and 2 without listening really hard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast