Sorta-chiller Franken-Rubery

Liquid cools my PC. Used my old passive exchanger and added an old hydronic coil. Plus a few other new and pre-loved parts. Experimented with poly pex fittings and copper crimp rings. The hardest part was finding an inline condensate pump with more than a fractional GPM.

uploadfromtaptalk1397527132944.jpg

The square brick is the satellite dish heater.

uploadfromtaptalk1397527179877.jpg

Accumulator and air separator. 3" clear PVC, total length about 14". Has removable unions.

uploadfromtaptalk1397527215102.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397527233900.jpg

The y-strainer before the flow reaches the pc heatsinks.

uploadfromtaptalk1397527287062.jpg

The old exchanger.

uploadfromtaptalk1397527317245.jpg

I drilled and tapped those 1/2" fittings.

There is a small flow indicator at the pc.

This passively cools a minimum 750 watt load. It rises to about 1500 watts during gaming. Idle temp is 70-72 degrees, max temp is 104.

There is 1 fan in the system. The power supply. I can force that to about 30% of full rpm. The system is silent at full load. Even the pump is quieter than the chest freezer it's next to. The pump is activated by a relay at the pc.

- Sent via ESP
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Cool little project.

Thanks.

It's been running for a couple weeks now. No leaks, still quiet. I've had the added benefit of re-playing older games, with more and more complex GPU usage to add a higher and higher load. So far, max temp has been 106 F.

The goal is to throw a 3 C/GPU BOINC project on it to see it heat up to the max. Something like the SETI@Home project. I tried it on my HP laptop with the same 3 C/GPU setup but it ran to 212F within 5 minutes and powered off with improper shutdown. I guess I have a benchmark now.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Update - running SETI@Home with screen saver. settings are "use 100% of everything". 2 cores, 1 GPU. max bus temp is holding at 100 degrees. This is the highest temp that any of the CPUs, bridges, and GPUs reach. Overall air temp in the case is 120 degrees.

All temps are degrees F.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Nice! I wanted to try something like this, but I wussed out and bought the Cooler Master Seidon 120M for my chip. Bought a massive air cooled sink for GPU, and I can run Far Cry 3 at high settings and not get over 42c which is WAYYYY better than the stock sinks it came with. Old GPU heatsink almost caused a three mile island incident in my office.

I was able to run FC3 high settings before but it did get hot. Maybe I'll try it again. It is a cool game

I seem to recall that the GPU in my system is cooled first, then the northbridge, then the cpu. I never got around to a parallel system of flow. that's the next revision, i guess.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Something else I am chomping at the bit to try is submerging the entire PC in oil, and then slapping a pump in it and running it to an air cooled heat exchanger. That could get quite messy if something went wrong though.