+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to prepare Boston Butt Roast?

Post Likes

How to prepare Boston Butt Roast?

I am going to smoke a Boston Butt for the first time this weekend and am asking for some suggestions on how to season it. We dont eat to much BBQ and really dont want to use BBQ sause for it. I was thinking of garlic salt,onion salt and putting some garlic cloves in the meet. Any help appreciated.
    You are who you are and where you are because of what you think.

Post Likes
    I put a thick coating of Montreal Steak Seasoning on mine,and slow cook on charcoal about 6 hrs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf 1 View Post
    I am going to smoke a Boston Butt for the first time this weekend and am asking for some suggestions on how to season it. We dont eat to much BBQ and really dont want to use BBQ sause for it. I was thinking of garlic salt,onion salt and putting some garlic cloves in the meet. Any help appreciated.
    Depends on what you want to do with it

The most popular way to make it would be for pulled pork samwiches

Cook it low and slo

internal temp should reach 190 degrees

Wrap it in foil and let it rest for an hour
    to allow reabsorption of the juices

Then pull it and eat it like your mamma cooked it
    for your birthday

don't sauce it at all until the meat goes on the bread

even then it is damn good without the sauce

Here is a rub I have used in the past
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup paprika
    1/4 cup turbinado sugar or Brown sugar
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    1 teaspoon cayenne

oh yeah one other tip

Before you rub spread some prepared yellow mustard
    on the butt, just a thin layer it helps the rub stick to the butt
    then refrigerate it overnight

And pull it out for an hour or so before (depends on the size of the butt)
    cooking to let the chill come out of the meat

That might get you started

Oh yeah it takes a while to cook
    and to bust thru the plateau

Have plenty of cold beer on hand

And

What time is Dinner?

Post Likes
    I have been pretty successful, lately with injecting meat. Beef I use lemon juice. Pork and apple juice go good. Key's secret is Tomato juice and melted butter.

A trick I do is to put any herbs and spices you want to use in the juice and then run it through the blender. This keeps the needle from plugging.

yeah what time is dinner.??

Post Likes
    Any acidic marinade or injection will help. The spices you mention will be fine I agree cook it low and slow.The last trick I have heard of is smoke ot to 150-160 and crock pot it with Wickers baste til done worked well here
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes

it's all your fault now

I just told my wife last night that we didn't need to go to grocery store until next week because we're set for groceries. Now I'm going to have to eat crow and stop at the store tonight to pick up a pork butt to smoke this weekend. You're all jerks. Especially the orignal poster for not telling us when and where to show up for eats.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the ideas. I think i am just gonna cut it up after cooking and make some roasted red taters and home made mac & cheese. Oh yeah Crawfordville Florida about 6:00 p.m. Saturday. Come on and get some.
    You are who you are and where you are because of what you think.

Post Likes
    Cook it in the ground.....the best way. Season that roast with whatever...garlic, onions, montreal, pork rub, etc. Wrap it up in about 10 layers of tin foil. Dig a hole. Have a fire burning for 8 hrs....nice bed of coals. Dig a hole in the center of the coals...leaving some on the bottom. Place wrapped Butt in th e center of this hole. Surround butt with coals(on top also). Cover with dirt from hole that was dug. Dig up the next day....if butt was put in ground around 11:30 pm, can be dug up around 1:30 pm next day. Falling off the bone, tender delicious pork. I"m a Yankee, and tried this southern way and loved it. Taught it to my northern relatives, who now love it also.
    Last edited by smokin68; 11-14-2007 at 07:46 PM.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    I have used this recipe a couple of times, and it turned out great. I smoked the butt about 3 to 4 hours, and then finished it in the oven overnight at 220 degrees.
    Pulled Pork Recipe courtesy Alton Brown Food Network

Recipe Summary
    Prep time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 11 hours
    Inactive Prep Time: 13 hours Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Brine:
    8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
    12 ounces pickling salt
    2 quarts bottled water
    6 to 8 pound Boston butt
    Rub:
    1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
    1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
    1 teaspoon whole coriander
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon paprika
    Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.
    Place cumin seed, fennel seed, and coriander in food grinder and grind fine. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and stir in chili powder, onion powder, and paprika.
    Remove Boston butt from brine and pat dry. Sift the rub evenly over the shoulder and then pat onto the meat making sure as much of the rub as possible adheres. More rub will adhere to the meat if you are wearing latex gloves during the application.
    Preheat smoker to 210 degrees F. Place butt in smoker and cook for 10 to12 hours, maintaining a temperature of 210 degrees F. Begin checking meat for doneness after 10 hours of cooking time. Use fork to check for doneness. Meat is done when it falls apart easily when pulling with a fork. Once done, remove from pot and set aside to rest for at least 1 hour. Pull meat apart with 2 forks and serve as sandwich with coleslaw and dressing as desired.

Post Likes
    What ever you do use a Big Green Egg and lump charcol
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
    I have used this recipe a couple of times, and it turned out great. I smoked the butt about 3 to 4 hours, and then finished it in the oven overnight at 220 degrees.
    Pulled Pork Recipe courtesy Alton Brown Food Network

Recipe Summary
    Prep time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 11 hours
    Inactive Prep Time: 13 hours Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Brine:
    8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
    12 ounces pickling salt
    2 quarts bottled water
    6 to 8 pound Boston butt
    Rub:
    1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
    1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
    1 teaspoon whole coriander
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon paprika
    Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.
    Place cumin seed, fennel seed, and coriander in food grinder and grind fine. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and stir in chili powder, onion powder, and paprika.
    Remove Boston butt from brine and pat dry. Sift the rub evenly over the shoulder and then pat onto the meat making sure as much of the rub as possible adheres. More rub will adhere to the meat if you are wearing latex gloves during the application.
    Preheat smoker to 210 degrees F. Place butt in smoker and cook for 10 to12 hours, maintaining a temperature of 210 degrees F. Begin checking meat for doneness after 10 hours of cooking time. Use fork to check for doneness. Meat is done when it falls apart easily when pulling with a fork. Once done, remove from pot and set aside to rest for at least 1 hour. Pull meat apart with 2 forks and serve as sandwich with coleslaw and dressing as desired.
    Alton Brown: Part scientist, part lunatic, the best there is!
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Not to dig an old thread, but I did a pork butt for the first time on 4th of July. I did a rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge. I started the smoker (wood, wood chips and charcoal) and adding the pig at 9:30 am. At 3pm she hit 165° and stalled out. Tired of adding wood every half hour or so, I moved it to the oven at 275°. She stayed on the plateau for a good 2 hours, but then started to climb again stalling out again at 182 for a good 45 minutes, then went back to climbing. I pulled it off at 8:30pm when the internal temp hit 195. I let it sit for 20 minutes only (invited guests were told we'd eat at 4 pm and it was already going on 9pm), so I rushed the resting phase. Darn good eating, but I wish I let it sit a little longer.

I used the rub and made a vinegar sauce from the book BBQ Bible (the guy that does BBq University on PBS). Sauce was good, but way too much ketchup taste for me. Next time I may even skip the ketchup in the sauce.

Leftover pork and slaw sammiches all weekend were pretty special!

Post Likes
    Why on earth are you guys adding all that crap to a good boston butt??? All you need to flavor it with is Kingsford or oak for about 6 hrs or so at about 250-275 degrees. I want to taste the smoke flavored meat, not some mess from a can!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in