Need a decent gas grill for under 500.00

OK I am on my 3rd gas grill in 6yrs since moving to Florida.
    My first two were under $200.00 grills. My current grill is a charbroil. Paid 400.00 Has cast iron burners Figured they would last.(they are fine) The outside is 50/50 stailess and cast. Decent shape. It's the heat plates and runners( the plates that cover the burners and the runner or ?? that travels the flame to lite the other burners. Well they are all rusted out.
    About 2 weeks ago I did a high heat cleaning. The stainless lid which was shiney now turned brown. I thought I bougth my last grill. It appears not.

I dont need all fancy side burners etc. Never use them. Not sure on the infra-red style( I see at lowes and HD). I like to get my steaks in some fire.(charred)

I see some of the all stainless grills for 6-800. But you cant see any burners.
    MY current grill I removed one of the heat plates so my steaks are right over the open fire and flames up. For everyone else I cook them normal on the other part of the grill.

Can I find a lasting grill for 500.00 or do I have to spend 6-800.00 ???
    Thanks

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Don't know prices but here is my 2 cents.....

look for high burner output, this allows you better temp control with various meats.

The thicker the casting or a insulated lid will benifit with heat retention.

and stainless burners are easy to replace after years of use, usually around $60.00

My grill cost me $1200 eight years ago......worth every cent.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtye8 View Post
    OK I am on my 3rd gas grill in 6yrs since moving to Florida.
    My first two were under $200.00 grills. My current grill is a charbroil. Paid 400.00 Has cast iron burners Figured they would last.(they are fine) The outside is 50/50 stailess and cast. Decent shape. It's the heat plates and runners( the plates that cover the burners and the runner or ?? that travels the flame to lite the other burners. Well they are all rusted out.
    About 2 weeks ago I did a high heat cleaning. The stainless lid which was shiney now turned brown. I thought I bougth my last grill. It appears not.

I dont need all fancy side burners etc. Never use them. Not sure on the infra-red style( I see at lowes and HD). I like to get my steaks in some fire.(charred)

I see some of the all stainless grills for 6-800. But you cant see any burners.
    MY current grill I removed one of the heat plates so my steaks are right over the open fire and flames up. For everyone else I cook them normal on the other part of the grill.

Can I find a lasting grill for 500.00 or do I have to spend 6-800.00 ???
    Thanks
    I also tried one of those Charbroils, and I believe if you check, those parts should be under warranty. 5 yrs. I think. I got plenty of warranty parts for mine with no problem.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the warr. on it. I know I dont have the recipt but maybe by a model number/serial they can tell.

You do have to register the grill on their website which will ask date of purchase, but I was never asked for a receipt. I would do that first, then inquire for the warranty parts. Mine had brass burners - lifetime warranty. All I had to do was take pictures of what was wrong with them and they sent me the new ones.

Myself.
    I buy the cheapest grill I can find, then rip out the burners, plates, and regulator. then install all new stainless steel, been running 8 years so far. the one I had before that got in a truck crash going to a tail gate party or it would have been a lot more years than eight, I believe.
    about every two years I replace the regulator needed or not, do not want to lose my eyebrows.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Take a small magnet when you go grill shopping. High quality SS will not be magnetic. Low quality SS will be slightly attracted to the magnet. This SS will eventually rust or discolor.
    My point is that just because it says SS doesn't automatically mean its a high quality grill.
    I have an older Barbeques Galore grill (non SS) that was made much better than the current models. I used it 3-4 times a week and have rebuilt it several times in the last 6 or 7 years.
    I now cook on a Big Green Egg and the gas grill is just sitting there.

Thanks for all the info.
    Quick story. I registered the grill online....did not know the exact date of purchase. Serial number started 06....... So I said purchased date of MAy 06. I call to inquire about warranty. Lady said its a 2007 grill. Go figure..... I could not see anything in the serial number to resemble this. I am in HVAC. Read serial numbers every date. Most are easy to figure out.( week/year..etc.)
    Well she said I needed a reciept. No luck. I check my Visa. could not find the charges. Dont remember if it was Lowes or Home depot.

I just ordered the replactment parts online. 67.00 shipped.

"About 2 weeks ago I did a high heat cleaning. The stainless lid which was shiney now turned brown. I thought I bougth my last grill. It appears not."

SS under high heat may discolor brown or even blue. You can look online and use an electrolite under low voltage and it comes off auto-magically. Check your local welding supply shop for the liquid and find your own Power source.

What the color tells me is that your top was over 800 degrees F.

buy a Weber best grills made. Stainless steal or not they don't rust.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    "About 2 weeks ago I did a high heat cleaning. The stainless lid which was shiney now turned brown. I thought I bougth my last grill. It appears not."

SS under high heat may discolor brown or even blue. You can look online and use an electrolite under low voltage and it comes off auto-magically. Check your local welding supply shop for the liquid and find your own Power source.

What the color tells me is that your top was over 800 degrees F.
    Do a search for pickling paste.

Buy the best grill going

Avoid all the stainless heads which are crap for heat retention and money spent for nothing - as it's not: "does not stain", it's actually: "stains less". As you have discovered.

SS is OK for a shelf or base but avoid it in and around the actual grilling area.

Put the money where the works are. Buy a Broil Master and you will be happily using it in twenty years.

Get the porcelain cast iron grates for better steak 'hatching'. You'll be using them in twenty years too

If you go to the Broil Master website you can custom build your own with just what you want.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.