Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rheem mod classic questions

I Just had a new 75,000 BTU Rheem Classic 90 Plus Modulating gas furnace with the mod TST401MDMS thermo and humidifier, along with a Classic series 2 1/2 ton AC unit installed in a 1500 sq ft home by a Rheem dealer.

The fan was running at full speed when the heat was on, as well as when it wasn't. After a little research here, I discovered the wiring may not have been correct. The "w" was wired to W2, I changed it to W/E.

I also noticed the "G" from thermo was going to the Y/Y2 on the furnace, I switched this wire to the "G" on the furnace.

I hope everything else is hooked up properly, so I thought I would post a couple pics.

Another question, should the fan be set to operate in "auto" mode or "on"?

Also, I notice air blowing out (in a couple small areas) between the furnace and the "box" that sits on top of the furnace, enough to possibly blow out a candle. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Last edited by audio guy; 11-13-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Cooling at the furnace should be on Y/Y2 or you won't get enough airflow and yes, W/E at the stat for heat. Too bad you have to correct the installer errors.

While heating, look through the window and make sure you get a capitol H on the LED. That means the sucker is modulating.

The air leaks should be caulked. Have the dealer do that when they come back and correct the Y wire.

We put a Mod in yesterday, hope they wired it right

Thank you.

So, to be sure I understand, the green wire at the "G" in the thermo should go to the Y/Y2 on the furnace, and not the "G" on the furnace where it is now?

You're OK with G on G. Have the dealer (since I can't give DIY advice) correct the yellow wire.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You're OK with G on G. Have the dealer (since I can't give DIY advice) correct the yellow wire.
    LOL

Can we give criptic hints.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'm just about to have the same system installed, just a step up in size. Outside of your wiring problem, I'd be interested to know how you like the system and if it performs as as advertised? Good luck and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinciwinters View Post
    I'm just about to have the same system installed, just a step up in size. Outside of your wiring problem, I'd be interested to know how you like the system and if it performs as as advertised? Good luck and thanks.
    Well, I had the unit installed yesterday and it wasn't very cold last night or today. The furnaces actually kicked in for the first time a few minutes ago, but the fan has been on all day.

I am anxious to see the electric/gas bill dwindle compared to the 22 year old "builders" model I had. While it may be a subtle change, it will be welcome, none the less.

So far, it seems like it will be a product worthy of investment. I don't foresee any regrets.

My only regret at this point is having to take a couple hours of my time last night and a couple hours this morning attempting to educate myself about something I know nothing about, and correct installer errors.

While what I did was pretty basic, it took me a lot of time to diagnose.

It really sucks spending XXXX.XX dollars with a dealer that I believe now knows less about the wiring for this particular furnace than I do, and I now worry of issues I may never know of.

The thermo wasn't even set up properly in the menu to recognize the type of furnace connected to it.

Oh well, such is life.

Mark
    Last edited by audio guy; 11-13-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

Rheem noise levels

I'm looking at the Rheem myself. How is the noise level?

That yellow wire is sticking too far out and almost or is hitting a resistor. Your installer should be careful to not stick the wires out too far.

Bald, he's already in it and seems competent enough.

Move the Yellow wire on the furnace to Y/Y2.

Dont regret that you spent a couple hours familiarizing yourself with your system, I am pletny familiar with the Mod and still play with it just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by htrguy View Post
    That yellow wire is sticking too far out and almost or is hitting a resistor. Your installer should be careful to not stick the wires out too far.
    Good eyes...

Yeah, that wire should of been shorter. Just hopefuly it's cut shorter when it's moved down to the next screw.

I have the Modulator as well and love it, a little caulk here and a little caulk there and the air will be right where you want it.
    Run that fan as much as you want I run my 24/7 with my fireplace to alieviate any pain from the gas company; however, runnig the blower all the time helps get rid of hot and cold spots and that is the reason for the dc drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast